A recipe with raw ingredients isn't just a salad or a fruit smoothie, there are plenty of recipes that use all kinds of raw ingredients, perhaps one of the most popular is the sushi, which can be found in almost every continent in different Chinese restaurants. One of those poorly known recipes is Steak Tartare, a dish of ground raw beef and some other raw ingredients.
First at all, some history about the Steak Tartare, taken from Wikipedia:
The name is a shortening of the original "à la tartare" or "served with tartar sauce," a dish popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The modern version of steak tartare with raw egg was first served in French restaurants early in the 20th century. What is now generally known as "steak tartare" was then called steack à l'Americaine. Steak tartare was a variation on that dish (...)
Over time, the distinction between steack à l'Americaine and its variant disappeared. The 1938 edition of Larousse Gastronomique describes steak tartare as raw ground beef served with a raw egg yolk, without any mention of tartar sauce. (...)
The recipe itself always have several ingredients, with the intent to conceal the taste of raw meat, usually always have mustard because its strong flavor helps to hide the taste of the meat.
But keep in mind certain tips when preparing the Steak Tartare, as a dish that have 100% raw meat, the risk of contamination is high. Things to consider are:
- Choose the most fresh ingredients, the best cut of meat and the freshest vegetables .
- Do not break the cold chain of the ingredients, especially with meat .
- Wash all the ingredients and utensils. Wash the kitchen counter where you will prepare the recipe with disinfectant and warm water, including the knives you will use.
- Do not save leftovers, this recipe should be eaten immediately after preparation.
- Maximum portion of 200g per person is recommended, but I would recommend no more than 120gr .
- Children, pregnant women and people with immune deficiencies, refrain from eating this preparation.
Yes, with the above you might think it's a suicide recipe, but sticking to the letter these recommendations, the risk is minimal, the same as if you ate any cooked food.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
The ingredients needed for a portion are:
- 120g sirloin or other lean cut of meat.
- 1 egg - yolk only -
- 1 heaping tablespoon: Mustard, Ketchup, Worcestershire Sauce. (If you have Dijon mustard, much better!)
- 2 Tablespoons: Pickles, Onion, Ciboulette and/or Scallion, tomato and sweet peppers finely chopped.
- 1 Teaspoon: Garlic, Capers and Ginger finely chopped.
- Juice of one small lemon (or any citrus fruit)
- Salt, pepper, basil and thyme to taste. Herbs can be fresh or dried.
Optional: Tabasco sauce and Antipasto. Antipasto: In my country is a kind of pickle containing Ketchup, beans, mushrooms, carrot, cauliflower, celery, sweet peppers, pickles, onions, olives and tuna loins.
Remember: Only fresh ingredients and wash very well.
Step 2: Preparation
To start, we must remove all the fat from the meat and cut into very small pieces . It is not recommended to use a grinder, they are always difficult to clean completely, is better to use a sharp knife . If you have difficulty cutting it, try to put it in the freezer and then cut it while is still frozen. Then return it to the refrigerator (not the freezer) while you prepare the other ingredients .
If you have not already chopped other ingredients, do it. Always remember to wash everything very well. You need to finely chop:
- 2 tablespoons Tomato, Onion, Ciboulette (or Scallion), sweet pepper and pickles.
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic, Capers and ginger.
In a bowl add the tablespoon of mustard, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Mix and add the rest of chopped ingredients. If you decide to add Tabasco, add it to your taste, in my case with 5 drops is enough.
After mixing the ingredients for what would be the Steak Tartar sauce, take the meat from the refrigerator and mix with the sauce. Stir everything well, also adding pepper, salt, basil and thyme to taste.
After mixing, put it back in the fridge for about 7-10 minutes to allow the meat to absorb the flavor of the other ingredients and marinate a little.
Step 3: Final Serving
Finally, before serving, mix the lemon juice with the meat. Then place the meat on a plate, forming a disk or hamburger with a slit in the middle, where you will place the egg yolk (remember to wash the egg shell before).
Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese, pepper and garnish with a sprig of basil or other aromatic herb.
If you choose to add the Antipasto, place it next to the meat a good portion of at least 3 tablespoons and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepper. I really recommend to go with the Antipasto and sprinkle with enough parmesan cheese, It makes a great combination!
And you're ready ! You have prepared your first Steak Tartar in a unique way, because you will not find another recipe like this, there are many variations of this recipe and this particularly I've been perfecting it over time to make it more delicious.It is so delicious that even my girlfriend, who doesn't usually eat meat, not even realized that it was raw! She loved it!
Final Note: Please don't forget all hygiene recommendations. So far, I had no problems with this dish but it was because I always have excellent hygiene when preparing my food, so I recommend you also follow this practice forever.