Introduction: Steam Link on Your Raspberry Pi
Steam Link is a solution for extending your Steam games library to any room of the house via your home network. You can turn your Raspberry Pi into a Steam Link.
Step 1: Equipment List
Step 2: Check for Updates
Type in this command to check for updates:
sudo apt-get update
Step 3: Install the Steam Link Software
To install the software type in the following line:
sudo apt-get install steamlink
If you are running a version of Raspbian that does not include a graphical user interface such as "Raspbian Stretch Lite", you will need to install the following additional package for the Steam Link software:
sudo apt-get install zenity
Step 4: Configuring the Steam Link Software
This step should be done by having physical access to the Pi with mouse and keyboard, or by using a remote desktop tool such as VNC or xrdp. I recommend to use xrdp on windows computers, because the remote desktop client is already installed.
You can install xrdp with the following command:
sudo apt-get install xrdp
Now you can connect to your Pi with the Windows Remote Desktop Client software.
- Start the Steam Link software by opening a terminal and typing in the following command
(A window opens)
- Click on 'Get Started'
- You can now pair a controller, or skip if you want to pair it later
- Now you need to connect to your computer. If your computer does not appear, make sure you have "In-Home Streaming" enabled on your computer.
- After selecting your computer, you will be prompted to enter the code from the Steam Link on you computer
- If you have done everything correctly, you will see a window with a "Start Playing" button
You have now successfully created a Steam Link out of your Raspberry Pi! Happy gaming!