SteamPunk Dalek




Step 1:

I Disasembleled Dalek bubble bath container, then painted initially with Primer, then with Gold, in hindsight, I should have painted it in a more metalic Gold

Step 2:

I sanded of the plastic domes and replaced them with Rivet

Step 3:

I covered the 4 back ones with plastic as this is where the gauge is going to g

Step 4:

Here I removed the eye stalk, gun, plunger and lights. the plunger I replaced with a cannon barrel I picked up in a charity shop, I added the plunger (see later pics) to still give it the Dalek feel

you can also see I added copper plates around the neck to give it a more machine less plastic feel

Step 5:

This is the gun, its a combination of the old gun (the silver bit) a pen lid, the clear plastic, a pen mechanism (the white plastic), the top of a champaign bottle and a fuse

It was then painted with brass paint, witha little brown and green added to take the shine off

both the Plunger and the gun also gad some craft gems added to make it more like the steampunk comics (see later pics

Step 6:

This is actually a retractable felt tip pen I cut down as it reminded me of a telescope (i 'borrowed' it from my daughter, Shhhh dont tell her!!)

this was then also painted

Step 7:

to give definition, I used copper wire from a hardware store, I also used the wire from a champaign bottle to do the lights

(In my mind they now shoot out flames !!)

Step 8:

The internal mechanics - I cut the front out so you can see in, I then cut underneath the head and inseted a perspex plate which I had glued the cogs to (the perspex is invisible to the eye, so it gives the illusion of a machine

Step 9:

The funnel is a copper U-bend from a Plumbers store. I was most disappointed by this I had hoped inspiration would lead me somewhere better, still I can always replace it later

The gauge was made with a copper ring and some balsa wood for its frame, the gauge I printed off the intenet and house in a plastic window I took from a lasagne wrapper!!!

The Plaque is copper sheet, the wire is designed to look like dalek writing based on pics from Dr Who Wiki

Step 10:

The wheels are from the cannon mentioned earlier

The wooden base was created by glueing balsa wood to the original plasic base and paintin it to gave an oak look

Step 11:

The End,

Thanks for looking :)



    • Tape Contest

      Tape Contest
    • Jewelry Challenge

      Jewelry Challenge
    • Trash to Treasure

      Trash to Treasure

    15 Discussions


    8 years ago on Introduction

    EXTERMINATE, EXTER...mi...naaaaaaate.......

    Woops, need to shovel more coal into the deathbot D:


    5 years ago

    Awesome Job. Very Cool. Keep up the good work.

    Dom Toretto

    5 years ago

    Dude thats awsome lol :)


    8 years ago on Introduction

    Dalek bubblebath? I think I need to do some online shopping! I never would've thought such a thing existed.


    8 years ago on Step 9

    Maybe you could make the chimney more steampunk by cutting some triangles out of the top edge to make it look like a kind of king's crown as they had on really old steam locos?

    You could use a joule thief and battery inside to put a light in the eye or gun.

    However, this is a great instructible and I love the overall transformation. Maybe the Dr Who writers will see this and do an alternative steampunk Dalek universe!


    8 years ago on Introduction

    Just a minor comment, for an extremely awesome project! It looks like you added all of your pictures at once when you created the Intro step. You might want to remove all but maybe the first and last from the Intro, just to reduce the clutter. They will still be on the steps where you've placed them; you just won't have the long string of pictures at the beginning.

    1 reply

    Reply 8 years ago on Introduction

    Thank you, I'm still learning how to use the site, I'm surfing on my phone at the mo, but will remove them when I get infront of a PC tomorrow

    Many thanks :)


    Reply 8 years ago on Introduction

    I cheated a little, Just for the photo efffect, I burnt a bit of tissue and put it in the Funnel!!!