Steampunk a Motorola RAZR




I have been into steampunk for a while now, and I have a ton of things that are steampunk. But I noticed a severe lack of steampunked phones on here, and thought one was needed. So I decided to steampunk my RAZR cover.

By the way, this is my first instructable, so please dont come complaining.

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: Gather Your Materials

I had a few of these things on hand, so it didn't cost me much to do this.

Heres what I used:
- Plastic RAZR cover (got it in a two pack on clearance at Wal-Mart -- $12)
- Spray paint -- I used a hammered brass and metallic gold paint for this ($3-4)
- Brass Sheet ($2)
- 4 medium screws, and 4 small srews (had on hand, but about a dollar to buy)
- All-purpose super glue (I got this from Jo-Anns, for about $4)
- A length of copper wire, about a foot or so (9 cents)

I also used these tools:
- Metal cutters
- Dremel tool
- Vice (I'm not sure if thats what its really called)
- Utility knife

Step 2: Paint the Cover

I started this with a little sanding. I used a fine grit sandpaper.

The way I painted it was, I put a coat of the hammered bronze on the cover, then immediately sprayed a very thin mist of the metallic gold on top, while it was still wet. This made the colors blend together a little.

Step 3: Cut the Brass

I had to cut two pieces of brass for this. One is for the back, the other for on the front.

For the back, I found that a piece 1 1/2" x ~3" was just about right. The edges were raised up after cutting, so I had to pound them back down with a hammer. With this piece, I decided to lightly paint it, so that it wouldnt be as shiny. I coated it with the hammered bronze, let it sit for 20 - 30 sec, then I dabbed it off with a rag. It turned out well.

For the front, a piece 1" x 1 1/4" was perfect. I left it shiny. I had to round it out at the bottom, because thats the shape of the raised part its going on. I also rounded the corners at this point, since they were sharp.

I then glued the front and back pieces of brass down, and let them dry overnight. For the front, I let the glue dry, and then I cut out the window in the middle. I found this to be easier than cutting the window, and then trying to glue it to match.

Step 4: Screw Effect

I had some medium-sized screws laying around, so I broke out my Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, and my vice. I clamped the screws in the vice, and cut the heads off of them. I then painted these heads gold, and glued them onto the back like so.

I noticed after I did this, that I had some smaller brass screws, which would be perfect for the front. Luckily, I didnt have to paint them.

Step 5: A Little More

I thought this was missing something, which made it look unfinished. I found out that this thing was some proper copper (terrible rhyme, I know....) on it.

I went to the hardware store, and got a foot of coated copper wire, which cost me only 9 cents. I stripped this wire with a utility knife, and bent it to form around the front brass plate. I glued it down with more of my super glue, which held it nicely. I also noticed that the copper wire covered the rough, cut edges of the brass, giving it a much more finished and polished look.

Step 6: Finished!

The cover is now complete! It fit on my phone well, and looks great!

I would recommend investing in a can of varnish of some sort, and spraying a moderate coat on this after its done. I found this out the hard way on another cover I made. Otherwise, the paint will start to chip within a day.

Happy building!

If you find or see anything that I may have missed in this, please let me know!

Be the First to Share


    • Made with Math Contest

      Made with Math Contest
    • Multi-Discipline Contest

      Multi-Discipline Contest
    • Robotics Contest

      Robotics Contest

    24 Discussions

    i know i mean MORE BRASS MUAHAHA

    ps friendly tip, don't take you're Razr to a concert where pushing is guarenteed, the keypad always shuts down and buying a new one is the only option, and since they've stopped making em, buying a new one is difficult

    This picture was taken just after I glued the front, and when it dried, the glue was no longer visible. But if you have the trouble of visible glue, my tip would be to just brush a little more paint over the glue to hide it


    10 years ago on Introduction

    These are kinda cool but they seriously need some polish work. A big part of steampunk is shiny clean brass and luxuriant textures. These lack the mirror polish necessary for a truly steampunk feel. Shine, man. Shine like you've never shined before. Shine like your at bootcamp, only more so.

    5 replies

    Reply 10 years ago on Introduction

    The rust/dirty mechanical aesthetics are Industrial and Dieselpunk. Industrial (started in the 70s and 80s) was and is more about mechanical objects and kind of an aggressive feel. Dieselpunk is more about the dirty rusty look like it comes from a post-apocalyptic kinda place. Steampunk was based originally around neovictorianism and victorian upper-class people were highly averse to dirt.


    Reply 10 years ago on Introduction

    Note to self: Build Dieselpunk rifle. Yes, I'm involved in a Time War that's been going on since 2947, so I need something to defend myself. No, can't say more.


    10 years ago on Step 6

    Very cool I'm was thinking of doing something like this to my MP3 player Now I have a guide!! TY

    1 reply

    Reply 10 years ago on Introduction

    I think this is a case that you buy to protect your phone - Razr and Krazr phones seem to break easily. The actual working phone goes inside this case.

    yes, thats it exactly. Its a case to go on the phone. Ill post the picture of it on my phone in the next couple days.