Introduction: Steel Rattle Prototyping Tutorial
Learn how to work with metalworking tools during this workshop and make your own rattle.
This instructable is for everyone who wants to learn how to make a rattle out of metal or for everyone who wants to learn the basics about welding, drilling, milling, and saw.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Needed Materials and Tools
- a piece of steel plate (2x25mm) at least 25 cm long
- a square steel tube (25x25mm) at least 2 cm long
- a round steel tube diameter 10 mm at least 15 cm long
- a round steel tube dameter 10 mm at least
- a small piece of aluminium 1mm thickness, at least 8.5 cm long, 2.5 cm wide
- a steel roundel M10
- mill machine (if you don't have one you can also use a grinding weel but the result will be different)
- welder (doesn't mather if semi-automatic or manual)
- metal saw (electric and manual or just manual) **make sure the saw has a metal blade
- pen and ruler
- drill machine
- metal dril diameter 11mm
- scissors or utility knife
Step 2: Saw and Drill the Baseplates
first you need to saw of 2 pieces of the metal plate each one is 12 cm long.
next you drill a hole (diameter 11 mm) in both plates at 1.25 cm from the top and from the left. To make sure you drill the hole wright you can use a center punch to make a small pit in the metal.
After this u can take the file to clean the edges or if you have a metal beld you can also use this.12
Step 3: Saw Tubes
you need 4 pieces of tube:
- one piece of 10mm diameter tube, 15cm long
- two pieces of 14mm diameter tube, 0.8 cm long (as the spacers)
- one piece of 25/25mm square tube, 2 cm long
after you saw the tubes, you can sand them on a machine of with the fill
Step 4: Make Slot for Plastic
Take the square tube you just saw and use a manual metal saw to make a slot in the middle of the piece as in the picture. the slot bust be about 1cm deep.
Step 5: Saw Aluinium Piece
saw or dut a piece of aluminium with next dimensions:
- 2cm height, 8.3 cm long
the tickness of the aluminium must be around 1mm, it must fit tight in the slot you've just made.
If it's too thick, you can use a piece of sandpaper to make it thinner.
Step 6: Gear From Roundel
We had to prepare a lot of gears for a workshop so we took all the gears, fixed them on a bold and milled a slot out. after the first slot is milled, you rotate the roundels with 60 degrees and repeat the proces, after 6 times you have a gear for your rattle.
* if you don't have a milling machine you can use a grinding wheel.
WATCH OUT IF YOU WANT TO USE A GRINDING WHEEL, make sure your roundel is fitter tight!
the result will be different as with a milling machine but the rattle will work the same
Step 7: Ready to Assemble
congratulations! you've now made al your parts and you're ready to put everything together
Step 8: Welding the Gear
first, take the gear and weld it on the longest tube, about 2 cm under the top
Step 9: Welding the Base Plate
next you take one piece of the base plate and weld it on the square tube like in the picture
2 small weld points should be enough
Step 10: Spacers and Gear
next you take the spacers and the gear and the second base plate,
put a spacer just above and just under the gear
put the gear with base plate in the hole in the base plate
put the second base plate over the other side of the gear
weld it all together
Step 11: Fit Aluminium Piece in Place
slice the plastic piece in the slot
your rattle is now finished!
Step 12: Playtime!
here is a short video that shows you the result, the video is made in a workplace with lots of noise, yet you can hear the rattle over everything!
Participated in the