Introduction: Stone Tile Lamp
While looking for a new table lamp for my living room, I saw a beautiful lamp made of marble, but at $120, it was a bit more than I would consider spending. So here is my attempt to make a cheap imitation.
I used stone tiles glued together and a cheap picture frame as the base. The tiles cost about $3.00, the frame $1.00 and the light socket and cord about $9.00.
Step 1: Materials:
- marble/stone tiles (I used 8 4X4inch tiles)
- wood for base (I used a picture frame)
- light socket , cord, and two wire nuts
- vinyl bumpers
- glue -Weldbond works well with tiles
- grout (a matching colour)
Step 2: Assembling the Tiles: Making the Four Sides
- The first step is to glue the four sets of two tiles together along their edges. Make sure the sides line up evenly. Allow to dry fully, the glue I used takes 24hrs to cure.
- Once the glue is cured, apply grout along the seam between the two tiles and wipe off any excess.
- Allow the grout to dry before you proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Assembling the Tiles: Glueing Together the Sides
- Glue one side piece to another forming a 90 degree angle. You may need something to prop it up so that it remains at the proper angle as the glue cures. Repeat with the remaining two pieces. Allow glue to cure before you continue.
- Apply glue to the edge of each of the two 90 degree pieces and place one on top of the other forming a box. Allow glue to cure.
Step 4: Assembling the Tiles: Applying Grout
- Now that you have the tile box glued together apply grout to the seams between the sides.
- Wipe off any excess grout and allow to dry.
Step 5: Assembling the Base
- I used a picture frame as the base of the lamp. I cut a small pieced of plywood to cover the opening at the bottom and some cardboard cut to the same size for spacing.
- With a Dremel I cut a notch on the bottom of the frame, as well as holes in the cardboard and plywood piece for the cord to fit through.
- I screwed the light socket to the centre of the plywood piece.
Step 6: Glueing Base and Adding Feet
- Connect the cord to the wires of the light socket.
- Glue the cardboard and plywood pieces to the frame.
- Glue the tile box to the frame.
- Add the vinyl bumpers to the bottom of the frame.
- Allow the glue to cure.
- Screw in a light bulb and enjoy your lamp!