How to make Strawbees paper circuits and "Strawbees balls".
Submitted as part of the May 2015 Strawbees Build Night which was held at Parts and Crafts in Somerville, Massachusetts.
#buildnight #strawbees #StrawbeesBuildNight
Step 1: Make the Paper Battery Holder
Items used (some are optional)
- Strawbees http://www.strawbees.com/
- Strawbees Bars template (attached)
- Paper battery holder template (attached)
- Cardstock for Strawbees Bars
- Paper for battery holder
- CR2032 button cell batteries (you could start with 3) http://goo.gl/PlIyyN
- Simple LEDs (3 or more) http://goo.gl/PlIyyN or http://goo.gl/PlIyyN
- Binder clips http://goo.gl/PlIyyN
- Brass paper fasteners http://goo.gl/PlIyyN (optional, can be used in place of binder clips for a switch)
- Needle nose pliers (optional, useful for pulling Strawbees legs through hole)
- Copper foil tape http://goo.gl/PlIyyN
- Scotch tape
Print out the CR2032 battery holder template (attached). Add the copper foil tape to the battery holder and fold it up.
- In square one put a piece of copper foil tape so
that it goes off the paper on the top. That will be the positive lead.
- In squares 2 and 5 put one long piece of copper foil tape so that it goes off the paper on the bottom. That will be the negative lead. Put CR2032 battery negative side down on square #2
- Fold squares 1 and 4 onto squares 2 and 5 (left to right). Fold squares 3 and 6 (right to left) on top of squares 1 and 4.
- Fold the paper in half bottom to top.
Step 2: Print the Strawbees Bars on Card Stock and Cut Them Out
Print the "Strawbees Bars" on Card Stock and Cut them Out (templates attached).
Best printed on 105GSM / 28lb bond / 70lb text or heavier.
I used what I had handy, but you can find more details on choosing card stock here http://goo.gl/D5Ti6z or here https://goo.gl/OMCjBV.
Step 3: Add Copper Foil Tape, Battery Holders, and LEDs
- Tape the battery holder to the Strawbees bar
- Put down copper foil tape
- Add LED
- Add any improvised switch you like (folder clip or brass paper fastener).