Introduction: Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Makes 12- 8oz jars
Time: 20-30 minutes
4 cups chopped rhubarb with (1/2 cup water)
4 cups chopped strawberries
6 cups sugar
8 Tablespoons of lemon juice
2 packages pectin
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Rhubarb and Strawberries
Our garden has lots of strawberries and rhubarb this time of year, so we decided to make strawberry rubarb jam.
Step 2: Wash & Chop
1. Wash and chop 4 cups of rhubarb.
2. Place rhubarb and 1/2 cup water in a sauce pan on low to medium heat. Cook until rubarb is soft. Turn off heat and Set aside.
3. Next, wash and chop 4 cups of strawberries.
Step 3: Add Pectin and Sugar
1. Drain excess water from rhubarb.
2. Place rhubarb and strawberries in a large pot with lemon juice. Crush the strawberries and rubarb as you mix.
3. Bring fruit mixture to a boil.
4. While stirring with a wisk, add pectin and sugar to fruit. Stir well.
5. Bring mixture to a rolling boil for one minute. Remove from heat.
Step 4: Processing
1. Place jam into 8oz jars leaving 1/4 head space.
2. Place jars in water bath and process for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for another 5 minutes before removing the jars from the water bath.
3. Let cool and store.
Follow us on Instagram @pinehillsfarm