A few days ago, I invented this lovely strawberry rhubarb crumble! We harvested fresh rhubarb stalks from our own allotment! It was 638 gr in total! Ooh yes! I made it twice this week, each time, I used 318 gr to use up my lovely rhubarb! :) The crumble itself is completely vegan but what I serve with it, is not! That is dairy-full so not vegan at all! You can make it completely vegan by serving a vegan hot custard! :)
You can taste the lovely speculaas cookies in the crumble top & ginger & cinnamon in the filling too! You still see pieces of cooked rhubarb in your filling, not fallen apart at all! That is what you want!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients!
Recipe: For 7 portions
* For the topping aka crumble:
100 gr cold vegan butter, straight from the fridge, cut up into smaller pieces
100 gr white spelt flour
75 gr coconut sugar
75 gr speculaas cookies ( biscoff), crumbled up into bigger & smaller pieces.
* For the yummy filling:
300 gr fresh ripe strawberries, each hulled & cut into 2 or 4
300 gr fresh rhubarb stalks, cleaned & each stalk cut up into longer pieces, each max 2 cm
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons water
75 gr coconut sugar
* To serve: Hot custard like Ambrosia Devon custard, heated up, until hot, stirring often. Or use a vegan hot custard! :)
Step 2: Make Your Crumble Topping!
1. Make your crumble topping first. Take a medium bowl & ad spelt flour & coconut sugar together. Mix well with a spoon. Now, add knobs of vegan butter & the crumbled speculaas cookies. With clean hands, mingle everything together until it looks like smaller & bigger bread crumbs! see picture! Set aside.
Step 3: Make Your Tasty Filling!
2. Preheat your oven to 200°C ( 400 F ) for about 10 minutes. Now, make the filling! In a medium cooking pot, add rhubarb pieces, ginger powder, cinnamon, coconut sugar & water. Mix well on low-heat until it all caramelizes & until your rhubarb is starting to soften a bit. This will be after 5 minutes or so. Turn heat off & set aside. In that same pot, add cut up strawberries & mingle together well. Try not to damage the strawberries.
Place this mix into a fitted oven dish & crumble your topping on top, evenly divided. Place into the hot oven & bake for about 20 minutes. After 13 minutes, I turned the oven temp lower on 175° C ( 350 F) ! Because the coconut sugar & speculaas cookies will caramelize & the crumble topping will be darker in color than normal white sugar. So, check often! You don’t want it to burn! ;) !!!
Step 4: Bake Your Assembled Crumble!
3. After 17-20 minutes of baking, the filling will be bubbling & check with a fork to see if your rhubarb has been cooked through. My crumble was ready after 17 minutes of baking! Turn oven off & take crumble out of the oven to cool off for 5 minutes. Take lovely dessert plates & scoop a big piece of your lovely crumble with the juices on your dessert plate! Pour some of your hot custard besides it so that it ends up near & over your crumble like picture above! :) When you serve this rhubarb strawberry crumble, you surely need this hot custard alongside it! Peter, my parents & I can’t eat rhubarb crumble without it! ;) MMM!
You can also find this tasty recipe here on my blog: http://sophiesfoodiefiles.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/strawberry-rhubarb-crumble-vegan/