In this blog I want share my experience of making a string lamp ....
This is easy and messy. be prepared to a-lot of cleaning after the project is complete
Step 1: What Do We Need ?
- 2 or more balloons ( size of your choice)
- cotton yarn ( mine was 1mm thick)
- 1 cup corn starch (borrow from your wife's kitchen)
- 1 cup water
- 10 to 20 ml fevicol (borrow from your kids)
- Water colors ( of your choice)
- Electric holder, wires etc
Step 2: The Lamp Structure
- Add 1 cup corn starch and 1 cup water and mix it well, till there are no lumps. Add 1 spoon salt to it and let it rest for 10 minutes
- We will use a balloon to give shape to our string lantern. So blow up a balloon, shape and size of your choice. Hang it using strong thread, So that it can bear the weight. Apply Vaseline on it, So that the string does not stick to it
- Add 10 ml fevicol to the mixture and mix it well till there are no lumps....
- Immerse the cotton yarn in the mixture and start winding it over the balloon. The winding becomes messy and you will spill the mixture all over, so take help from your kids or spouse to do this. Leave some space at the top for electric bulbs to go in.
- Once satisfied or tired winding the string across, leave it to dry for 24 hrs. Yes 24 hrs is best. Donot try to speed dry using electric hair driers, as over exposure to heat may burst the balloon too early
- Do not burst the balloon after, we have work to do... Take the water color or your choice and paint it using a brush or water spray bottles (one used by Hair Stylists to wet hair).
Step 3: Electrical Connections
Caution : This part should be done by a professional or electric contractor. Fit the electric holder and bulb. Connect to 220 V power supply and hang it...
Enjoy the string lantern and share pics with your friends
I have shared 3 different ways it can be used
Please Share comments