So around where I lived there was a place called "tying the knot pretzels". They sold pretzels of all kinds and they were DELICIOUS. But soon they closed and there were no more pretzels. Probably because of their high prices. But I wanted more pretzels and thought "hey, how hard could it be to make pretzels". So I tried to make their most famous pretzels the "sugar daddy" and it was easy and they turned out great. So I thought they would be perfect for the candy contest. They are relativly easy to make and taste great. Vote for me in the candy contest and enjoy :)
Step 1: Ingredients
There are alot more ingredients and steps than you would think to make pretzels but they are relatively easy and simple to follow.
- mixer with bread hook
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 1/4 cups flour, keep them seperate
- 1 cup 105*- 115* water
- 4 cups of water
- 5 teaspoons of baking soda
- non-aluminum pan
- 1/2 teaspoon of free flowing salt
- kosher salt if you want normal no sugar pretzels
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- mix of cinnamon and sugar to coat pretzels
Step 2: Preperation of the Dough
The first thing you are going to do is prepare the dough. To do that you will need to mix the 1 cup of 105*-115* water and the yeast in the mixer and let the yeast dissolve. (This just takes a minute of mixing). Then mix 1 1/2 cups of flour, 2 tablespoons of softened butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar. Mix it all togather for 3 minutes. Then stir in 1 1/4 cups of flour. The dough should be starting to form. Let it mix until it loses al of it stickiness. Then put it in a greased bowl then cover the bowl with plastic and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size. After double in size take them out of the bowl and onto a cutting board, cut them into 12 equal pieces. I had 11:) Then roll them into the pretzel form and put them onto a greased cookie tray and cover them with plastic wrap. Put them back in a warm place to rise until double in size.(haha that rymed, rise until doubled in size) You know have uncooked pretzel shaped dough.
Step 3: Boiling
Now we need to boil the pretzels. Take the 4 cups of water and 5 teaspoons of baking soda and put them in the non-aluminum pan. Bring to a semi-rapid boil. With a spatula individually put in each pretzel for 30 seconds on each side. Then put them onto a greased cookie sheet. After boiling them sprinkler them with your cinamon and sugar mix, very very lightly. barely enough to notice. To much and it will burn in the oven. This completes the boiling process.
Step 4: Baking and Finishing
Have a large mixture of sugar and cinamon in a cake pan ready for this step. After they have been boiled and lightly sprinkled put them into a preheated 475* oven and cook for 12 minutes. Immediatly when you take them out put them face down into the sugar mixture and move them around. They will be coated in sugary cinnamony goodness. Let cool, subcribe, rate, comment, and ENJOY.
Step 5: Extras
Here are some extra things you can do to spruce up your pretzels
- While making the dough add in some cinamon and sugar to give the dough a sweet taste
- For normal pretzels add salt before baking instead of sugar and lightly coat with melted butter when done
- You don't have to make them into a pretzel shape. You can make your dough into any shape you want and they will look great.
- A little brown sugar in the sugar mixture will give it a little more flavor
- The pretzels don't store well so its best to eat them right away after making them, also thats when they taste best :)
Hope you enjoyed my instructable, please vote for me in the candy contest. Rate comment subscribe :)