Intro: Sun Basket: Universal Solar Bike Upgrade
Simple, easy steps to upgrade your e-bike to a solar bike. Charges your bike when it parks under the sun, perfect for a commuter bike.
Because we are using a booster MPPT solar charge controller with adjustable output, we can charge all e-bikes with 24V/36V/48V battery pack system.
Step 1: Parts: Total Around $260
- MPPT Solar Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller 10A (Amazon)
- 50W Bendable SunPower Solar Panel (Amazon)
- MC4 Male/ Female Solar Panel Cable Connector (Amazon)
- Wald 535 Rear Twin Bicycle Carrier Basket (18 x 7.5 x 12)(Amazon)
- 10 gauge wire
- MC4 Fuse
- Adapter Plug
- MC3 MC4 Solar Crimping Tools
- Outdoor Weatherproof Plastic Cover Electric Junction Box 200x120x75mm (Amazon)
Step 2: Assemble the Controller Box
Put the MPPT controller in the weather proof box.
Run input wire and output wire as indicated.
Make sure on the input + is the female MC4, - is the male MC4, because it is receiving power from the solar panel.
Put the 15A fuse on the + side wire to the battery.
Step 3: Mout the Rear Basket to the Bike
We will use the 50w flexible as cover for the rear basket. It is slightly oversized.
Step 4: Setting Up the MPPT Solar Controller
The controller would need to be connect to the solar panel to work. Make sure its output matches your ebike battery charger rating. Overvoltage, Short Circuit, Reverse polarity or Overcurrent can damage your battery. Test and verify with a multi-meter, DO NOT depend on the reading from the controller.
Here is a nice youtube video to get you set up