What is better than bacon AND mac & cheese??? This recipe is one of those recipes you hide from your doctor but you can't stop eating!! Simple yet awesomely delicious!!!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Making the Roux
- Melt 1/2 Stick of unsalted butter in a small sauce pot. MEDIUM LOW HEAT
- Add 1/4 Cup of All Purpose flour.
- Stir roux until pasty and oddly amazing smelling.
Step 2: Making the Cheese Sauce
- Add 1 1/2 Cups of COLD whole milk to hot roux.
- Whisk with milk and roux on LOW HEAT until milk thickens.
- Add 2 Cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (OPTIONAL: 1 cup Colby jack cheese)
- Add 1 additional cup of whole milk.
- Whisk until cheese is melted, be careful not to let it burn!
Step 3: Assembling the Awesomeness
- Cook one box of standard elbow macaroni pasta and cool
- Add the cheese sauce to the pasta.
- Next, add the chopped bacon AND the bacon fat (You'll thank me later)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Step 4: Forming the Macaroni Molds
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray
- Spoon in mixture in molds. (I used two muffin tins)
- Freeze tins for AT LEAST and hour
Step 5: Battering the Macaroni (3 Step Method)
- Coat in all purpose flour
- Coat in eggs. Make sure you get it completely covered.
- Coat in SEASONED Italian bread crumbs.
Step 6: Frying to Perfection
- Preheat vegetable oil till 340 degrees
- Gently place macaroni in oil flat side down first
- Once golden brown FLIP
- Cook other side until golden brown
Take a fork, open it up and watch the gooey cheese come out. EAT UP!!!
Runner Up in the
Cheese Challenge 2016