Hi there, This is my first Instrustable so please have a little patience with me. I'm sure everyone has by now seen the super mario chess set with mario and luigi versing bowser and his crew... well being as how my kids both want to always be the good guy it didn't seem right making one of them be "team Bowser" so i made my own chess set for them out of clay, paint and a little imagination. It's mario vs. luigi...
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
I luckily had a nice wooden box that opened with hinges already. so i printed out the question mark square and the brick from the Super mario game and glued them in an alternating pattern onto a piece of thick cardboard. Then i put clear taking paper over it to protect it. I made sure to tighten the tacking paper and pull all the edges to the back of the cardboard.
As for the box I just painted on some characters from the game onto the first level background. and then glued the chess board i just made onto it.
I bought some crayola air dry clay from walmart and began to make the game pieces. then when the clay dried i painted them with acrylic paint that i got from michaels.
I choose mario and princess peach as the king and queen and since i wanted to keep with the red vs green ( like mario and luigi's overalls) i made red yoshi for the mario knights, red tubes for the mario rooks and red turtle shells for the bishop. i made red yoshi eggs for the pawns. i did everything the same but in green for luigi except i made his queen princess daisy
i wanted the piecesto shine so i painted over them with some varnish that i had... later i found out that my clear nail polish would have worked the same.. oh well live and learn
I wanted all the pieces to fit in the box nice and snug. since them rolling around and crashing into each other would have made them chip. so i got some memory foam and cut out the shape of the chess pieces.. and that's that.. it took me a little over a month to do since i had to wait for the clay to dry and the paint... but all in all i am pretty pleased. i think the princesses could have came out better but whatever.