If a hiking trip results in you lost and alone, or your floatplane crashes in a remote place in Russia, and even if you just need a backpack repair, this DCT (daily carry tin) jam packed with survival supplies will aid in your quest to civilization.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Picking a Tin
1. Find a suitable tin: 36- 40oz ( an Altoids or Berkleys tin works well)
2. Put a strip of magnetic tape on the top of the tin.
Step 2: Medical
- Various bandaids.
- 2 PDI sting relief pads.
- 2 waterproof bandaids.
- A butterfly bandage.
- Cotton swabs. (half of them are covered in vaseline to aid in firelighting)
- 2 "spot" bandaids. (for stings)
Step 3: Fishing
- 4 different sized hooks. " Big hooks catch big fish, small hooks catch big and small fish."- SAS survival guide
- A steel braided "hook liner."
- A small spool of line.
- 2 rotaters.
- As many weights as possible.
- An artificial bait.
Step 4: Sewing
- 2 buttons.
- 2 patches.
- 4 needles.
- 2 safety pins.
- A spool of thread.
Step 5: Repair
- 3 zip ties.
- A small saw capable of cutting wood.
- A bunch of nails.
Step 6: Fire
- 4 strikers.
- A magnifying glass (to use it, tilt the magnifying glass into the sun until there is a bright dot. then move the magnifying glass up or down to focus it into your tinder.
- A whole lot of matches! (dip them in wax to "shower-proof" them)
(the pink box is a box that held wax for braces)
Step 7: Navigation/signalling
- A compass.
- A little mirror to signal planes.
- A little battery and LED light (put these together to make a flashlight)
Step 8: Tools
- A foldable pair of scissors.
- A pair of tweezers
- An old swiss-card® knife
Step 9: Miscellaneous
- Copper wire for snares
- A "LOGIX" pen cartridge.
- Assorted magnets.
Step 10: Put All of This....
Step 11: Into This,
Now that your DCT is ready for the great outdoors, hit the trails, and remember to use your common sense, and
comment on how the DCT helped you on your travels!
Happy making, and remember to vote!