This is a quick and simple recipe that will go great with rice or noodles. Its not too hot but it's full of flavour I love the texture and the heat. I make it on board my boats for the adventurous crews.
This is the latest video recipe for the site so please share. I'm working away on a digital cookbook which is taking up a lot of time. I was hoping to have it completed by now but it will be completed mid December. Keep checking back for more recipes and subscribe to my Youtube channel, I post videos every Saturday.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
You will Need The Following:
- 1/4 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 red pepper, sliced fine
- 1/4 yellow or green pepper, sliced fine
- 1 small carrot, sliced fine
- 1 celery stalk, sliced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pickled green beans, sliced
- 1/2 cup sweet & spicy Thai sauce
- 10-12 shrimp, cooked & sliced in half
- salt & pepper to taste
Note: Feel free to get creative with this, add or take away vegeies to suit your own tastes. You can also substitute the shrimp for chicken or just leave the protein out altogether for a vegan version.
Step 2: The Tools You Need
These Are the tools you need:
- A frying pan
- a round pan with warm water to soak the rice paper
- a chef's knife
- a cutting board
All the tools needed for this recipe are pretty basic. The hardest part is rolling the spring rolls which is shown in the video.
Step 3: The Procedure
- If You haven't already done so, chop the veggies and cook the shrimp.
- In a frying pan set to medium high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil and fry the veggies for about 2 minutes.
- Once the veggies are nearly done add the garlic and thai sauce and coat well.
- Just before taking the mixture off of the heat, toss in the shrimp. You don't want the shrimp to over cook.
- Next lay the shrimp mixture next to the cutting board and take out the rice paper. make sure the water that you will be dipping the rice paper in is good and warm.
- Dip a sheet of rice paper in the warm water for about 20 seconds and lay it out on the cutting board.
- lay about 2 tablespoons of the shrimp mixture in the centre of the paper.
- Starting with the sides of the rice paper, fold them to meet the mixture in the middle.
- Next take the back end of the rice paper and fold it foreword while keeping in on the sides so it forms a little pocket.
- Now Pull back to meet the mixture in the centre and roll it up making sure the sides don't come out.
Now you are ready to enjoy your sweet and spicy shrimp spring rolls. They are great with your favourite rid or noodle dish. They also make great finger foods at parties and they are good for you. Check out www.adamdurnford.com for more recipes and videos.