Introduction: Sweet and Salty Bars (gluten Free)
If you could master just one gluten free dessert, please let it be this! These bars make me so HAPPY....plain and simple. The combination of the slightly sweet dark chocolate and the crunchy salty cookie crust is addictive. Try these, they are really easy to make and worth every single calorie!!
10 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 + 1/3 cups certified gluten free oat flour (I make my own in the food processor using rolled oats)
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut sugar (you can substitute brown sugar if you prefer)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (or bar chipped into tiny pieces)
2 Tablespoons butter
1+1/2 cups heavy cream
Dash of sea salt (plus extra for finishing at the very end)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the crust. Mix until everything is well combined.
3. Put the crust into a rectangular glass pyrex baking dish (mine is about 8x11 inches). Use a spatula to flatter then crust out as much as possible. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. While the crust is baking, heat the heavy cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat until it is very warm but no where near boiling. Stir very frequently to avoid burning. Add in the butter and salt. When the butter is melted, remove the pan from heat and pour in the chocolate chips. Use a whisk to stir vigorously (about 1 minute) until the chocolate is completely melted. Set aside until the crust is done.
5. Remove the crust from the oven and, using a clean spatula, flatten it out as much as possible. The crust puffs up when you bake it, and the goal is to compress it back down so its firm.
6. Pour the filling mixture over the crust. Cool uncovered in the fridge for at least 4 hours, or over night. Sprinkle with sea salt before cutting/serving. You can cut these into small squares, or if you are feeling extra fancy, you can use cute metal cookie cutters to make pretty shaped bars. These will keep, tightly covered, in the fridge for at least a week. Trust me, they won't last that long....