Chicken curry is a common delicacy in South Asia, Southeast Asia, as well as in the Caribbean (where it is usually referred to as "curry chicken"). A typical South Asian curry consists of chicken stewed in an onion and tomato-based sauce, flavored with ginger, garlic, mango chutney, tomato puree, chili peppers and a variety of spices, often including turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom and so on. Outside South Asia, chicken curry is often made with a pre-made spice mixture known as curry powder.
Step 1: Ingredients
Ingredients for Tamil Black Pepper Chicken Curry (Serves 4)
- 800gms chicken on the bone skinless and jointed
- 1.5-2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 curry leaves
- 220gms white onion finely chopped
- 2 chillies slit lengthwise
- 1 large tomatoe finely chopped
- 250ml water
- Coriander to garnish and add to curry.
For the pepper masala:
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 mild dried red chillies
- 1” cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
Step 2: Cooking
- Grind all the ingredients Black pepper masala in a spice grinder and set aside.
- Heat oil over a medium flame in a pressure cooker, wok or heavy bottom large sauce pan.
- Add curry leaves and as they splutter add the onions.
- Fry the onions till they start turning golden brown.
- Now add the green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and fry for 8-10 minutes till they turn mushy.
- Add the marinated chicken and fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes.Stir couple of times in between.
- Add pepper masala grinded powder and salt. Mix it and let it fry for 2-3 minutes on medium flame. Stir once in between.
- Add Water and mix well. Pick up all the masala from cooker side and base.
- Close cooker for 3 whistle(1 on High & 2 on low flame). In wok or open vessel cook till chicken pieces start becoming tender.
- After 3 whistle (1 on high, 2 on medium) allow steam to settle down naturally.
- Open the cover. Check if pieces are tender. If not then cover for few more minutes.
- Let water escape till the gravy thickens.
- Add few fresh coriander leaves and give it a mix.
- Switch off the flame.
See Complete Recipe Steps with Pictures in below link,