Don't be fooled by the name! Texas Caviar is a healthy bean dip and is nothing like fish eggs. The easy to make dip consists of multiple types of beans and is a favorite at all the tailgates and parties I go to. Texas Caviar is a healthy mix full of different mouthwatering flavors. Minimal cooking is required; just follow these simple steps and you will have your Texas bean dip set and ready to go!
These instructions are split up into two parts, making the marinade and the bean mix. Follow these instructions step by step to make your Texas Caviar!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients and Equipment
To begin your bean dip, you will need to create the marinade that the beans sit in to soak up all of the flavor.
- 3/4 cup of Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Water
- 1/2 cup of Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Pepper
- Medium sized sauce pan
- Spoon for mixing
Creating the bean mix.
- 1 15 oz can of Pinto Beans
- 1 15 oz can of Garbanzo Beans
- 1 15 oz can of Black Beans
- 1 15 oz can of Black Eyed Peas
- 2 11 oz cans of White Shoe Peg Corn
- 2 4 oz cans of Chopped Green Chillies
- 1 or 2 2 oz jars of Chopped Pimento
- 1 cup of finely (1/4 -inch) chopped Green Peppers
- For a fresh taste buy a fresh green pepper and chop it up with a knife
- 1 cup of finely chopped Celery
- buy a fresh celery stick and chop it up with a knife
- 1 small, finely chopped Onion
- Large serving bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Can opener
- Chopping Knife
Step 2: Marinade Directions
I. Mix ingredients into a sauce pan
II. Place on top of stove
III. Heat ingredients on medium heat until they boil
- The purpose of boiling is to boil off the sugar in the marinade
IV. Remove from heat and let mixture cool once it has reached a boil.
The marinade you have created will provide a sweet taste for your bean dip, while you wait for your marinade to cool, continue to work on the next part.
Step 3: Bean Mix Directions
I. Drain and Rinse the canned Beans
- Be sure to drain the Pinto, Garbanzo, Black, and Black Eyed beans/ peas
II. Drain the liquid from the White Shoe Peg Corn
- Note: Do not rinse
III. Chop all fresh vegetables into fine pieces if food is bought whole.
IV. After Draining beans and corn, mix all chopped and canned ingredients into a large serving bowl.
You should now have a mixture of all your ingredients in a large serving bowl.
Step 4: The Final Result!
Now that your Marinade is cooled off and your bean mix is complete, add your marinade to your large serving bowl and mix thoroughly.
For best results and flavor, let your Texas Caviar chill in the refrigerator overnight and Enjoy!