You know those days in summer when it's so nice in the evening you just want to be outside but maybe you haven't got typical "BBQ" food in. Well this instructable is all about great recipes recreated outdoors. The type of thing you could cook indoors, cooked outdoors just as easily. Not only that but the recipe itself is a fantastci variety of a mussels or "moules" dish with a Thai spice to it.
Here's what you'll need to recreate this one yourself at home..outdoors!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Video Recipe
As usual at Food-D here is our video recipe first to take a look at and get an idea of how we prepared and cooked our dish, the written methodology follows on the next step.
Step 2: Ingredients Required
You will need the following ingredients:
For the Thai Paste
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1 Large piece of Lemon Grass (remove tough outer layers)
- 1 Large red chilli (with or without seed based on heat preferred)
- 1 inch cube of peeled ginger
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- Juice and zest of lime
- Coconut Milk
- Fresh Coriander
- Nam Pla / Fish sauce (optional)
- Baguette/loaf of bread
- Heavy based pot
- Larger pot for keeping cooked mussels warm
Step 3: Methodology
- Add your curry paste to the hot pan (on our Tabletop charcoal Grill) and cook for a couple of minutes until hot
- Add half the can of coconut milk reserving the remainder
- bring up to heat and when boiling add your pre-prepared mussels (i.e. washed and de-bearded)
- Allow to steam for 2-3 minutes
- Using a slotted spoon remove the mussels and keep warm, leaving the Thai broth (discard any closed mussels)
- Add the rest of the coconut milk and (if you wish) a splash of Fish Sauce along with a handful of chopped coriander
- Reduce this liquid for 5 minutes until it thickens
- Pour the thickened broth back over the mussels give the pot a stir or shake to distribute
Step 4: Serving
- Pour the mussels into bowls and add more chopped coriander
- Have some cut bread ready and leave on the grill to toast (30mins each side) to serve alongside the dish
This shouldn't have taken more than 30mins to create, so pull up a chair, sun lounger (maybe not a hammock) with a bottle of beer or glass of wine and enjoy!
Check out the next page for a great mussel eating tip.
Step 5: How to Eat Mussels
Once you're happy with the recipe and how to go about preparing/cooking the mussels. Make sure you check out our other video tutorial on the best way to EAT mussels. If you don't know this you're missing out!
Instructables link here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Food-Hack-The-proper-way-to-eat-Mussels/
Thanks for viewing!