Introduction: The Batwing
"This instructable was created in fulfillment of the project requirement of the Makecourse at the University of South Florida (www.makecourse.com)"
A simple 3D printed model based on the "Bat", batman's aircraft from the movie the Dark Knight Rises that has LED lights, some which blink and the arms can move sideways.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: The 3D Model in SolidWorks
For this model I designed 3 parts:
a) The cockpit, with slots for the windows.
b) Left "arm" with slot for the cannon on the side.
c) Right "arm" with slot for the cannon on the side.
I also modified the enclosure box, by making openings on the sides so I could attached the arms and added a cut out of the batman logo on the top of the box for a nicer finish product.
Step 2: 3D Printed Parts
Here are the very first parts I printed to have a sense of size and fitting. I actually made changes to the arms(length and size) for a better fitting to the enclosure box.
Step 3: Parts Used
1- Arduino Uno
2- Half- Breadboard
3- 2 Servo motors
4- 6 5mm LED lights
5- Jumper wires
6- 5 Resistors
7- IR receiver and remote control
Step 4: Circuit Squematic
Squematic was made using Fritzing app.
In order to attach all the components, first I connected the 5V and ground pins to the the power rails of the breadboard. I choose random pins to all the parts but you should keep track of them in order to make it easy when writing your code.
Step 5: Code
Here I have all the codes that I used for this project. One important thing here is to write separated codes for all your components and then add them to a main one. Mine is called Decode.
For the LED code, I assigned all the pin numbers to all of my LED's using the "int" function. In the void setup I called all the outputs by using "pinmode" and in the voidloop I used "digitalwrite" and "delay" for the ones I wanted to blink.
For the Servo code, I assigned pins 9 and 10 for both motors and used the "write" and "delay" functions to make them move the desired angles and have a little time in between them.
For the Decode, I included the IR receiver sketch and added the other two above sketches making it my main code for this project.
Note: I attached the main arduino-IR remote sketch in order to use the receiver and remote control. I did not write it, just used to obtain the necessary info in order to program the buttons that I used on the remote control.
Step 6: Making Sure Everything Fits...
Here are some shots of the modifications and wiring I done to make everything fit and work properly.
I used the screw holes from the original box to attach the arms and make them rotate without having to come up with a complicated design. Longer screws and a couple of spacers were cheap and worked perfectly.
For the servo motors, I actually measured their height from the bottom of the box and to connect them to the arms I simply drilled holes in the arms big enough to attach the blades of the motors. Since the arms were 3D printed, they were pretty light and cheap servo motors had enough torque to move them.
For the 5mm LED lights in the cockpit, I designed my 3D model with holes going thru the entire part so I could run the cables without being exposed.
For the ones in the arms, my original plan was to have them go thru the part, but since it was 3D printed(filled with material) and although I designed the part hollow, it would be pretty hard to drill to the bents and run all the wire. So I ran them thru the bottom of the box by drilling small holes and underneath the arms using electric tape.
The windows for the cockpit were laser cut using acrylic and glued in place(side windows)using clear silicone. For the cannons I used a clear vinyl hose.