Introduction: The Complete Smart Home
This project can turn on and off the simple 6A loads like ceiling fans and lights depending upon the relay ratings.
Up to 16 loads can be switched on and off from any phones with Android, iOS, Java, Windows or anything web based. Android have app for it.
Loads can also be switched on and off from manual switches which are two way wired.
In case for switching HV appliances like AC, Refrigerator a contactor to be used.
Update: New feedback circuit is added to this existing relay board for details visit https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Complete-Smart-Home-Addon/
Step 1: Parts
Here I have used the DPDT relay where SPDT relay is sufficient.
First and foremost, working on 230V is dangerous have a certified Electrician for all wiring purposes.
1. Wifi Router with Ethernet port + Adapter + Patch Cord
2. Ethernet Relay Board RCD1610-RJ45 Link (This board has inbuilt wifi so external router is not necessary)
3. 1 x 2A MCB (here I used 10A MCB)
4. 1 x 16A MCB
5. 16 x SPDT Relay base rail mounting type
6. 16 x SPDT 24VDC Relay
7. 9 x Terminal Connectors (depends upon wiring)
8. 222 Wago Connectors (depends upon wiring)
9. 12V 2A Adapter for powering Relay Board
10. 24V 3A Adapter for powering external relays
11. 2 x wiring channels
12. 2 x DIN rail
13. 16 x SPDT switches (Optional for fail safe mechanism)
Step 2: Schematic
Here I have shown only one control, rest 15 controls are copy of the circuit.
AC Hot line is routed via a 16A MCB.
Load can be switched either ways via a normal switch or through the RCD board with wifi router. This is simple two way switching.
THE RATING OF THE RELAYS IN RCD BOARD ARE ENOUGH TO DRIVE THE 6A 230V LOAD. JUST IN ORDER NOT TO HAVE 230VAC TO THE BOARD I HAVE INCLUDED THE EXTERNAL RELAYS WHICH TAKES THE 230VAC AND ALSO FOR EASY REPLACEMENT OF RELAYS IN FUTURE. THE COIL VOLTAGE OF RELAYS ARE CONTROLLED BY THE RCD BOARD WHICH IS 24VDC.
Point A is branched to 16 230VAC and connected to the common terminal of external relay
Point B is branched to 16 +24VDC and connected from common of rcd board relay and coil A1 of the external relay
Point C is branched to 16 -24VDC and looped together and connected to NO of rcd board relay and coil A2 of the external relay
All three adapters and powered through a 2A MCB
Other end of the load is connected to a common Neutral of 230VAC.
Step 3: Surface Preparation
As my initial plan was not to have the blue panel to be placed, so removed some wall blocks to place the blue panel
Step 4: Initial Wiring and Testing
Here I have used a optional SPDT switches for failsafe and testing purposes.
wiring came complicated which led to removal of some optional items.
Step 5: Panel Assembling
This is completely your self idea to design custom panel
DC wiring, Router connections, Adapter wiring are done within the panel board, later AC wiring and two way connections are done after placing the panel board inside the enclosure.
Step 6: Panel Wiring
Panel wiring I have used some 2 way, 3 way and 5 way wago 222 connectors.
Since on 230VAC using tapes and joints is not reliable
Make sure all metal boards are earthed properly.
Step 7: Adding Wifi Router
Since the board uses Ethernet, it should be connected to the Router
Added new board in the Parts list have inbuilt wifi module which does not require router
Router to be placed in a central area where loads can be switched with enough wifi signal.
If RCD 1610 Board is used follow below steps
1. Connect the patch cord to the rcd board and other end to one of the router lan port
2. Power on the rcd board and wifi router
3. By default rcd board has ip 192.168.1.25 and port 80 and access code 123456
4. Now ping 192.168.1.25 from your computer and confirm reply
5. If failed turn off the firewall
6. Once wifi connected it will have limited connectivity only
7. Once ping is successfull open browser to http://192.168.1.25/web
8. Enter the access code 123456
9. 1 to 16 relays can be switched from here
Step 8: Android and Windows App
Android and Windows apps are available for RCD1610 board.
LINKS ARE DOWN MAIL ME FOR APP AND DATASHEETS.
System is double secure
1. Secure the wifi router with authentication password
2. Change the access code for login to the webpage for controlling relays
Step 9: Notes
Upon successful router addition remember to add the below code to maintain power off memory which provides memory function, when the function is turned on, the relay state is saved when there is a power failure.
This prevents change over of relay making some load to toggle its power state.
Just copy paste this to the address bar on a successful ping of 192.168.1.25
Participated in the
Participated in the
Participated in the
Fix & Repair Contest
1 Person Made This Project!
- bindhzyt made it!