Need to spice up your kitchen with a little bit of personal style? In this Instructable, we will create a unique Star Wars - The Force Awakens knife block that stars Kylo Ren using the force! If you stumbled upon this Instructable and aren't a Star Wars fan, just go ahead and make it anyways :D
- Knife Set*
- About 2-3 feet of 3/4" Plywood
- Paint (optional)
- Wood/metal File (helps round out the tight corners)
* You can support us using that Amazon Affiliate link!!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Cutting Out the Dark Side
- Print off Kylo Ren (above)
- Spray 3M adhesive of on the back of it
- Press it against the piece of 3/4" plywood
- Using a jig saw cut out Kylo Ren
Step 2: Cutting Out the Force and Base
- Cut out a 8" (point to point) Hexagon out of 3/4" plywood
- Cut out a 11" x 7" rectangle out of 3/4" plywood
- This is where you can route the edges of the base and force to give it a more futuristic look
Step 3: Drilling Holes for the Connection and Knife Slots
- Cut a square roughly 0.3" into the back of the Force hexagon, dead center
- Cut out the slits for the knives by first drilling several holes in a line with a tiny drill bit
- Using a razor, slice the uncut plywood between the drilled holes
- Clean out the razored cuts with a file
- Once the slit is large enough, fit a jigsaw blade inside and finish cutting out the slit for the knife
- Clean up up the slits with a file and make sure the knives fit snug
Step 4: Sand Everything and Paint
- Give everything a good sand with 120 grit paper
- Brush all of the dust away
- Apply a primer coat, leaving the edges of the plywood unpainted
- Follow the primer up with 2 coats of high gloss black, also leaving the edges of the plywood unpainted
Step 5: Assemble the Force
- Mark where the Kylo Ren will be standing
- Pre-drill two holes into the base where the feet were for screws to go into them
- On the underside of the base, drill a counter sink hole
- Screw Kylo Ren to the base from the underside.
- Rub some glue into the hole that was drilled in the dark side
- Slide the dark side onto the end of Kylo's hand and clamp in place
Step 6: Sealing the Deal
- Apply two coats of Polyurethane for a nice sheen and sweet finish to the plywood!
Step 7: The Force Awakens
You now have a really sweet looking knife block that you can show off to your family and friends, and be super proud of!