Always wanted to take super close up photo's of bugs and small stuff? This is an quick, easy and cheap way to get some nice results for very little effort and money, and still keep all the camera settings like aperature.
You will need:
one slr lens to dismantle, mine was one that had a broken focusing mechanism, but you can get the same part needed from nearly any lens, get cheap one from a second hand sale/flea market for peanuts
blu-tac, to fix the macrogyver onto the front of your normal lens.
set of mini screwdrivers to dismantle the lens.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1
With your bits assembled, the first step is to dismantle the surplus lens. most of the time the screws are hidden under the rubber focusing ring, use a screwdriver to slip it off. there may or may not be other screws on the mount part of the lens depending on what lens you have.
Step 2: Step 2
once you have unscrewed all the micro screws, it "should" just be a matter of gently twisting the lens barrel, almost as if you were focusing it, until it comes apart. all the internal parts of the lens i used came out of the lens assembly by turning them or pulling gently in the correct way, with one micro screw holding a part in place.
the element you'll need is the rear one, this may be different with other lenses so just try each element by holding it manually in front of your camera and checking.
it will basically look like it has a small lens on the front with a larger lens on the rear.
Step 3: Step 3
When you have identified the right element, roll out some blu-tac into thin bits and carefully position around the edge of the wider part of the lens element housing, and then carefully position onto the front of the lens you will be using, make sure it's sticking to the lens casing, and not the front of the lens itself as it will be a pain to clean when you're not using it.
Make sure its level and not crooked.
Step 4: Step 4
You will now (hopefully) have a working macro setup. Because you have effectively cut the amount of light entering the lens, your exposure times will be a little longer and the focusing is very fine, which i'd recommend to do manually, so you'll more than likely need a tripod unless your in bright conditions. also, try and use either a shutter cord or timer release so you dont shake the camera when you press the shutter
I've included a (low quality) pic of the setup i used to take a shot of the meal worm included, I'd recommend moving the subject to and from the lens to get it roughly where you need, rather than moving the camera, it saves alot of hassle. the focusing distance is around 2 to 3 cms. also, you can see the tape i used to secure it together before the blu-tac, which is another method but not as tidy.
my next step is to get a filter ring or spare lens cap and attach the lens element to it so it will be easier and maybe cleaner to put on and take off rather than the blu-tac.
Step 5: Take Some Pics!
now its time to take some photo's. its best to use a nice small aperature to get a big depth of field and more of the bug in focus, unless you know how to do depth of field stacking with your saved images. all this entails is taking several shots of the same subject in exactly the same position, but with different parts in focus, then the images are combined to make one shot that is all in focus.
here are some shots to demonstrate what you can do with a little patience and experimenting.
included is 2 shots of a wasp, one is out of the 9 i used to dept of field stack to show how a single image would look, and the other is the final image.
Step 6: Update
to make it slightly more visually appealing, i found an old circular filter that was scratched, and unscrewed the inner ring to release the filter glass, cut a circle of plastic the same size as the glass, then a hole in it for the lens element and hot gluing it in, so now i can screw it on and off as and when it's needed.
didn't take any photo's of the update in progress, but it's pretty self explanatory, so just a shot of it and a few more photo's taken using it!
and here's my flickr macro set with most of the shots taken with it are on