Introduction: Hack NeuroSky's MindWave RF to MindWave BLE4.0
NeuroSky's MindWave Headset is the most cheapest EEG headset in the world. It supports PC and Mac, But not IOS or android or arduino.
Okay, MindWave Mobile is Bluetooth approved by Apple. And it supports IOS and android. It supports arduino too, though the cost is a little high.
Hacking MindWave headset into BLE will solve all the problem for developers. The only loss is the Raw Data Output ( Actually they are not important for most developers).
BLE is friendly for IOS, Android, Arduino. It is cheap and open, and the most important thing is BLE is less energy cost and more steady actually.( Good for both Earth and You.)
Start this project,you need to prepare some materials such as BLE4.0 Bluetooth module, LED 6030, USB to serial port device , serial debugging assistant software, welding tools, soldering tin cross screwdriver, etc.
Step 1: Disassemble and Modify MindWave RF
1. Uncover the brand sticker, then you will find four screws under the sticker;
2. Remove the four screws after which you could find that there are two screws fixed in the internal circuit ;
3. Leave the two screws where they are before changing the baud rate of the TGAM module to 9600 by moving the resistance (in the red rectangle) up;
4. Remove the two screws and then the RF module as well as the LED indicator(in the red circle )from the circuit.
Step 2: Modify BLE4.0 Module
1. The module we choose is BT-05. The wiring diagram is as the picture above;
2. Connect the module to the computer through the USB to serial port device, and then change the name of the Bluetooth module and the connection password through the serial debugging assistant;
3. Change the Bluetooth module’s data through the serial debugging assistant.
Step 3: Reassemble MindWave RF
1. Solder the BLE4.0 Bluetooth module to the modified circuit board of MindWave RF;
2. Add some hot melt adhesive to the solder joint and assemble the MindWave RF (The indicator light on the BLE4.0 Bluetooth module must aim at the gap inside the MindWave RF when assembling )
Install the battery and turn the MindWave on. If the indicator light blinks blue, the modifying is finished. We also need to have a test to confirm the success. If you have interest, please refer to the test course.
If you wanna buy a MindWave EEG headset, here is the link:
If you wanna buy BLE headset, here is the link