Just under 3 years ago I posted an Instructable titled 'The Pointless Switch'; which was a crudely made fancy cardboard box with a switch stuck onto it. Upon happening to find it at the bottom of my Instructables list, I decided it was time for a new, and improved version.
If you don't understand the concept of the pointless switch, it is a switch that does nothing. When a person comes upon the switch and see's the box that says 'DO NOT PRESS', their immediate thought is to press it. It's almost like reverse psychology, the box says one thing, you do the other. However, what differs this version from the first one I made is that you can see through the box, which inside's contain the contents of what seems as a complicated circuit of wires, batteries and timers. One's immediate thoughts may travel to the idea of an explosive, or a timer that, when it reaches zero, something bad will happen. But of course, none of this is true, because the switch is COMPLETELY pointless, from the switch to the battery to the circuit boards.
If you like this Instructable, please comment your thoughts, and subscribe to me if you want to be notified of more of my Instructables. Thanks!
Step 1: Parts List
- A kind of cutting tool (dremel, scrollsaw, plastic cutter, etc)
- Small CLEAR case (I used an iPod case)
- Switch or button small enough to fit into your case (Mine was from an old spotlight)
- Sticker/paper/pen/printer for making the 'DO NOT PRESS' label
- Hot glue gun or superglue
- Electronic and various parts. The parts you choose are completely up to you. The parts I used included:
- An analog watch face
- Circuit board cut to fit my case
- A digital number screen
- A AA Battery
- Various wires and ribbon cables
- Washers, big and small
- Various metal parts such as brackets and tubes.
Once you have everything you need, move on to the next step!
Step 2: Switch Housing
- Grab your case
- Place the switch or button where you will want it to be at the end
- Roughly trace around the switch or button using a craft knife or a pen
- I didn't take pictures of this process, but basically use whatever means you want to cut out the hole for the switch. I used a dremel to make a small hole then used my scroll saw to slowly chip away until it fit perfectly. The trick is to go slow and steady to get a good fit. Also note, it is not a good idea to use a knife as the plastic may crack.
Once this is done, move onto the next step!
Step 3: Preparation
- Grab all of your components and your hot glue gun
- Without gluing anything in place, test out and decide where all of your components are going to go. My final design varied slightly from the one shown but its very similar. Feel free to taker a picture of your design before gluing to make sure you remember where it all goes.
- Test your lid still fits on before gluing, but once you have everything where you want it, hot glue it all up! NOTE: If your switch doesn't stay in on its own, hot glue that in too, removing any excess glue afterwards that decides to poke out.
Done? Next step!
Step 4: 'Do Not Press!' Label
- Grab your case
- Get a sticker or piece of paper and decide how big your sticker should be
- Print/write out your message and stick it onto the box. Feel free to put any message on that you want. Some possibilities could include:
- Warning! Do not press!
- Do not press!
- CAUTION! RADIATION RISK!
- Danger - High voltage!
You're done! Woohoo.
Step 5: Finished!
Congratulations, you have just finished pointless switch. Have fun doing nothing! ;-)
If you enjoyed and/or benefited from this instructable, feel free to subscribe to be notified when I bring out new instructables. Also comment on what you think! Thanks!
Participated in the
Weekend Projects Contest