Introduction: The Royal Game of Ur - Minimalist Design
A few weeks ago I wanted to make something out of wood, preferably a board game. While searching for suggestions, I came across a video of the British Museum about the game "The Royal Game of Ur" and was immediately impressed. The game was quite easy to learn and seemed to be a lot of fun for the players. When I found out that the corresponding boards were discovered during excavations in the 1920s and dated to around 2600 BC, I had found my new project. Which I then successfully completed. :)
Since I wanted to build a second one anyway, I thought it would be great to document this ...
Step 1: Tools and Parts
- Folding rule
- File for Wood
- Woodburning Pen/Woodburner
- Wood Varnish
- Sewing mashine
- Plank (I used a board from an old cabinet)
- Wooden Stick (For example an old Broomstick ^^)
- Some Scrap Wood
- Some Remnant
Step 2: The Plan
A game board is needed, for each player seven tokens and three dice.
In terms of the dimensions of the game board, I have oriented myself to the information of the British Museum. The size for dices and tokens were given by the existing material. I used the following measurements:
Board: 30,1 cm (L), 11 cm (W), 2,4 cm (T)
Dices: ~ 1,5 cm (Edge Length)
Tokens: ~ 2,2 (Ø), 0,8 cm (T)
For the storage of the little parts I sewed a small bag. The measurements were at the end approx. 10 cm (H), 11 cm (W).
Step 3: The Game Board
After sawing the board, I divided the length and width by the number of boxes needed and then drawn them on the wood. I also marked and sawed out the cutouts.
Then everything was sanded off well.
Step 4: The Tokens
For the tokens I cut pieces about 1 centimeter wide and sanded them well off, too.
Step 5: The Dices
Hind! If you own a 3D printer, you can print the dice yourself. This is less work and you will definitely get a nicer / more accurate result. The user RobhJoh did that in his Instructable.
For the cubes I drew triangles with a side length equal to the wood thickness on the wood.
After sawing, I then made a point on one side in the middle. And removed each of the three sides diagonally to the point so that a tip is formed.
I then ground off the subtleties by eye.
Step 6: Woodburning
Instead of rosettes, I decided to burn crosses and give the whole thing a minimalist design.
With the Woodburning Pen i made a cross in the second square from the right and the first square from the left at the top and bottom rows. A fifth cross was added in the fourth square from the left in the middle row. I also burned the Edges of the board just for the look.
Two tips each were blackened on the dice.
In the case of the tokens, I have branded seven triangles and seven circles. In addition, the edges where made nice dark.
Step 7: Glaze the Wood
To protect the wood and to give the whole a more beautiful look, I have varnished all the wooden parts. For that I simply used the rest of a glaze for parquet, which is even safe for toys.
Step 8: The Bag
Attention! As you can see from the pictures, I did something wrong and the tunnel openings for the cord are inside. It still works. :D
After the fabric was cut to size, the edges were sewn to prevent tearing. Then two of the pages were folded and sewn accordingly. This will be the edges of the tunnel for the cord. So they will later look nice and not tear. The tunnel was then added to one of the other two sides.
Finally, I then folded the fabric in the middle and sewn it together. After everting, I was able to pull the cord through the tunnel with the help of a safety pin.
Step 9: Finish!
As you can see, in the first version, I made decorative lines on the sides and used a sharp blade to burn the squares. The fabric came from a torn carrying bag.
The game can be played in different ways. The most common is probably that of the above linked video. An overview can be found at Mastersofgames.com.
I hope the tutorial was interesting and may have even animated someone to rebuild it. :)
Tim Schabe @Schabenstolz
Participated in the
Game Life Contest
1 Person Made This Project!
- Kink Jarfold made it!