The necessity for this was an abundance of loose shoes. The previous model decayed from humidity and mold. The inception was seeing other storage furniture with similar designs.
Step 1: Parts & Assembly
Used a sheet of 4'x8' finished plywood. Used a table saw to cut the verts and horizontal pieces. I am not sure what this technique is called. It took me hours to cut these out. The front slanted edge was difficult for me. I cut all 3 at once through the table saw. The edge had blemishes and needed sanding down to look OK. I used a mallet to connect the pieces together. The fit was very tight.
The cubes are 5" H x5" W.
Step 2: Sides and Stain
Here it is stained with a waterproofing layer . The sides are held together with biscuit plates. The internal cube matrix is just slid inside. I was amazed it fit perfectly. Now this is strong enough for shoes and a few things on top, maybe 30 lbs at most..but no one is going to use this as a step-stool.. I coated it with a clear polyurethane spray after my wife was done painting the sides.
Step 3: Final Paint..some Character.
My wife is a good painter. She livened up the case with some whimsical art. Our 7yo helped too. I put some foot pads on the bottom to keep it dry .
So there you go.