Throatmic Headset




Introduction: Throatmic Headset

I made this headset because I am going on a motorcycle trip with a friend. And on this trip we need means of communicating with each other on noisy motorcycles. But it will work in any condition.

I already head a walkie talkie, but no headset yet. I looked on the internet and found throatmic headsets. These are very useful in noisy conditions because they only pick up the vibrations of your throat, no ambient noise. Sadly they started at 100 euro's, bit too much for a headset if you ask me.

Because of my work (army surplus store) I have access to a large variety of old army crap. Among this stuff i found an old throat microphone of the French air force and decided to make stuff happen with it.

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: What Do You Need?

1. Walkie talkies with headset possibilities. (In my case the Motorola TLKR T5)
2. Headset with 2.5mm jack plug. If your headset has a different connection, use that of course.
3. Throat microphone. Look for them at army surplus stores or eBay. Mine was 5 euros.
4. In-ear headphones.
5. Strips of cloth.
6. Leatherman, or any other set of tools.
7. Teflon tape.
8. Soldering iron.

Step 2: Taking Stuff Apart.

First you should take the headset apart.

1. Remove the microphone and the earpiece, leaving only the wires exposed

Then the throatmic.

2. Remove the endplug of the throatmic, leaving wires exposed.

Finally the in-ear headphones.

3. Cut one of the earpieces of the in-ear headphones of and leave the wires exposed.

Step 3: Putting It Back Togehter.

Simply connect the wires using the soldering iron.

Take the wires from the original headset earpiece and attach the new in-ear headphone.

Connect the original microphone wires to the new throatmic wires.

Insert the newly made headset in the walkie talkie to check if it works.

Step 4: Finishing Up.

If all the wires all connected correctly you should make sure they won't come loose anymore.

I taped all the wires tightly together using Teflon tape, this is easy to correct if done wrong.

Finally, to give some strength, I wrapped the wires in strips of cloth. This also looks better then the original tiny wire.

And then you are all done.

Be the First to Share


    • Trash to Treasure Contest

      Trash to Treasure Contest
    • Raspberry Pi Contest 2020

      Raspberry Pi Contest 2020
    • Wearables Contest

      Wearables Contest

    4 Discussions


    10 years ago on Introduction

    I wish i could make one of these it would be perfict for work but finding a old throat mic is so hard now and days


    Reply 10 years ago on Introduction

    I found one on ebay (though I haven't got it working yet) and there is one seller that has many Soviet throat microphones for sale, you might want to try that option.


    Reply 10 years ago on Introduction

    I tried that before I got this one, I took it from a Soviet tank crew helmet. But I couldn't get it to work. Might have been a bad one, but no good exp with it till now. I found the one I used for sale on a Dutch website (I am Dutch). You could email the owner of the site for more info about the mic.


    Good luck.