Introduction: Tilapia a La Spetsiota
This is my version of "Psari a la Spetsiota," - a delicious dish made famous on the Greek Isle of Spetses. It is basically fish (Psari) covered with a marinade of tomatoes, garlic, parsley, white wine and topped with breadcrumbs and baked in the oven. You may find a variety of recipes online for "Spetsiota," however I have tailored this one to suit my tastes in food and have added fresh Scallions, Chives,a teaspoon of light brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, and sliced black olives (Kamata Olives would probably be more appropriate, but I used black olives since that was what I had on hand),
Step 1: The Ingredients (for 2 Servings)
- 1 pound more-or-less of any white fish that flakes easily (I used Tilapia, but flounder, cod, grouper, even catfish will work).
- 1/2 cup plus 3 TBS of diced tomatoes (with juices (I used canned tomatoes that had been steamed with garlic, basil and oregano) (I prefer "no salt added" if using canned tomatoes).
- 1 teaspoon of light brown sugar. (I am sure that regular brown sugar would be OK).
- Several cloves of garlic (I am a garlic-lover, so I used 4 big cloves).
- 1/4 quarter cup of chopped fresh parsley.
- 3 large Scallions or Green Onions, with tops.
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh chives.
- 3 TBS of sliced black olives, drained (Kalamata Olives would probably have been more appropriate, but I only had black ones).
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
- 1/4 cup dry white wine.
- 1 medium-sized Zucchini Squash (optional)
- 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs.
- 3 TBS EVOO, divided.
Step 2: PREPARATION:
- Sprinkle the fish fillets with S&P; wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
- Chop the greens (parsley, scallions, chives, etc) and the garlic and place all in medium sized bowl.
- Add the tomatoes with liquid (1/2 cup plus 3 TBS) to the bowl.
- Add the white wine, brown sugar, sliced olives, red pepper flakes if using; taste, add S&P if needed. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- While oven is heating:
- Chop the Zucchini into chunks (about 1/2 inch pieces, or slightly larger); add a little salt and pepper)
- Heat 1 TBS of EVOO in a non-stick skillet and saute the Zucchini for just 2 or 3 minutes (you don't want to overcook it since it will be added to a casserole dish and baked in the oven along with the fish and marinade).
- Remove the fish fillets from the refrigerator after 30 minutes and let them rest on the counter for 15 minutes.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray, or lightly coat it with olive oil.
- After the marinade has rested for 30 minutes, stir it, then spread a little over the bottom of the baking dish and cover with the fish fillets.
- Place the sauteed Zucchini around the edges of the dish and cover it all with the remaining marinade.
- Top with bread crumbs and drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Bake the casserole in the oven at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the zucchini is just fork-tender and the fish will flake.
Step 3: TIME TO EAT . . .
Let the casserole rest for a few minutes, then plate and serve! Accompany your meal with a chilled glass of white and enjoy!
I have estimated the nutritional values of this recipe to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer.