Introduction: Toad in the Hole Made Easy
Following the creation of my instructable "Yorkshire Puddings Made Easy" here is an instructable for Toad in the Hole.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: You Will Need
1 cup Semi Skimmed Milk
1 cup Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
Substitute Vegetable Oil with drippings or half Vegetable Oil/half drippings
Pyrex measuring cup
Dry ingredients measuring cup
Yield: 8 sausages
*NOTE: The pictures show a halved recipe which is why I used a small baking dish and only 6 sausages when baked.
Step 2: Pre-cook the Sausages
I like to know the sausages will be completely cooked and to ensure this I pre-cook the sausages.
Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius
Cook the sausages for 40 minutes.
Step 3: Pre-heat the Oven and Arrange Sausages
* Check the oven shelves are placed low enough so the Toad in the Hole has plenty of room to rise. For a standard oven the baking dish should sit in the middle of the oven.
* Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees Celsius or 425 degrees Fahrenheit
* Pour oil approx. 3 millimeters deep in the baking dish. There should be just enough oil to cover the bottom of the dish from edge to edge.
* Place the sausages in the baking dish so they are evenly spaced and not too close to the edge of the baking dish.
Step 4: Mix
* Whisk eggs into Semi Skimmed Milk until fully mixed
* Add Plain Flour and salt to the egg/milk mixture and mix-mix-mix with the whisk.
* You should end up with a nice smooth batter which contains lots of small air bubbles from whisking.
Step 5: Assemble and Bake
* Immediately after whisking, pour batter into baking dish. The oil rises up to sit on top of the batter. Don't worry if the oil doesn't completely cover the batter.
* Ensure the oven has fully heated to 220 degrees Celsius. If the oven hasn't pre-heated then the batter will not rise properly.
* Put the baking dish into the oven and turn up the temperature from 220 Celsius to 230 Celsius / 450 Fahrenheit for the duration of baking.
* Bake 30-40 minutes.
* Using oven mitts, carefully remove the Toad in the Hole from the oven when golden brown. It is usually easiest to remove them from the baking dish as soon as they are out of the oven.
Step 6: Tips
* Farm Shop eggs make the batter rise better than supermarket eggs. This recipe was written based on results with supermarket eggs. You may find you can reduce the number of eggs if using Farm Shop or good quality free-range.
* Do not open the oven during baking. The Toad in the Hole will not rise properly if the oven door is opened while they are rising.
* Always use Plain Flour.