Intro: Toilet Paper Phone Holder
We always have finished rolls of toilet paper or kitchen rolls laying about the house ( at least I do because I'm too lazy to go to the recycling center). I finally decided to save $10-$15 on a brand new phone holder and make one of my own.
Step 1: Gathering Materials.
You will need:
- Empty toilet roll
- Washi tape of different colors (you can get them in bulk at any craft store) - I got mine from Michaels Michaels - Washi Tape
- Measuring Tape and your Phone
- X-Acto knife
- Acrylic White Paint (optional)
- Push Pins (6-8)
- Mod Podge Gloss
Step 2: Prepare Your Roll.
- Wipe the roll with a dry napkin to remove any water spots or dust.
- If you have a darker roll, paint it white using acrylic paint for the tape to show out. Let dry for 30 mins before continuing ( I used a light roll so there was no need to paint).
Step 3: Making Your Phone Slot.
- Place your phone over the top of the roll and draw an outline on the roll using a pencil. Increase the length of the slit by 1 inch on both ends to easily place your phone in the slit.
- Cut out the slit using the X-Acto knife or scissors.
- Trim any rough edges with scissors to get a smooth finish.
Step 4: Design and Decorate.
This is the fun part. Decide how you want to design the holder. You can use skinny or fat tape and use one color or many. You can stick the tape either horizontally or vertically on your roll. I decided on a combination of both with different printed and colored tape.
- Start from one end with the tape. Attach the tape and press evenly to avoid bubbles.
- If the tape looks crooked or is not straight, you can gently peel it off and repeat.
- Do this for the entire roll.
- When toy cover tape near the slit, tuck the loose ends firmly inside the slit.
- I used a different color to highlight the slit at the top. This also help cover any rough edges.
- I decided to cover the inside of my roll with some extra tape I had instead of painting it.
Step 5: Adding Your Stand.
- Place your roll on a flat surface with one end facing you.
- Place your first pin closer to one end at a 45 deg angle to the counter.
- Place your next pin half an inch from the first and repeat.
- Do the same on the other side (I decided to use 4 pins).
Step 6: Final Touches.
Cover your entire roll with Mod Podge. This helps secure the tape better to the surface. I used Gloss mod podge to give it a shiny look.
Put your phone in and enjoy :)