Introduction: Tortellini Soup
Tortellini soup, or broth is a simple dish. Perfect lazy winter meal, there are cream based variants, but this is the KISS version.
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients:
There are really only 5 as it really is that simple
- Tortellini either homemade or one small package
- Beef Broth 24oz (can be made from bullion cubes)
- Olive oil
- Green onions, chopped but save some of the tops for the last step
- Cheese - Parmesan, Romano, Pecorino, or your favorite to grate
Step 2: Boil Tortellini
boil water then add tortellini and olive oil. You know the tortellini is done when they all float. A taste test should be done but not as far as falling apart.
Step 3: Boil Broth
Bring the beef broth and the green onions to a boil. Stir occasionally but it is hard to mess this up unless you leave it way too long. Onions will get soft and it will smell wonderful.
Step 4: Add Tortellini to Broth
Use a slotted spoon or colander to drain the tortellini and add them to the boiling broth. Heat this to just below a second boil. It is a small step but helps infuse flavor.
Step 5: Garnish and Options
Ladle enough to fill a bowl. Add remaining green onion and cheese to top, and your done...
Now for variations what to try,
- Meat: such as Italian sausage or chicken can be added like other soup recipes.
- Vegetables: celery or carrots add flavor
- boil the tortellini and add bullion cubes to create the broth, I have done this on many backpackers
Otherwise just enjoy a simple hearty meal
Participated in the