Introduction: Trailer Trolley
The reason for this instructable is one which happens to us all - A little bit of age.
We have a trailer which we use for camping, but having no way to get it into the garden for storage is kept in the front between the Bay Window and the front wall (see the initial pictures). When we want to use it I have to lift it through the gate by resting it on my knees and shuffling sideways very carefully.
I decided we needed a trolley to ease access and my daughter wanted to help, so this gave a great chance to show her how to use a few hand tools.
At the start I have to say that this is the first time she has used the tools employed in this instructable.
The trolley took half a day to create and Lauren enjoyed every bit of it.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Parts List
The trolley was made fully with recycled materials some from work and others being the left overs from other projects :-
- Casters ( 4 removed from a cupboard before it went into a skip at work)
- nuts and bolts ( various) from shelving and equipment packaging.
- Plywood - left over from making my son a sand pit
- Blue plastic batons - runners from a demonstration cupboard
- Nylon cord (ex washing line)
Step 2: Initial Cuts
The trailer is 90 cm wide so the first parts I got Lauren to cut was the main cross beams. There would be two of everything as the plywood would not be strong enough to support the trailer in a single thickness the parts would be sandwiched together.
I added 8 cm to the length of the stretchers as the batons would need something to fasten to. The next parts where the T pieces (4 of - remember the sandwich) each T section was 40 cm long. Once they where all cu we layed them out to see roughly how the trolley would look - see picture
To start with Lauren found it difficult to use the saw I explained that some saws can cut in both directions, but even if it did it was easier to start with to lift the saw off of the material between strokes - this allows you to build up a rhythm. Being the first time with a saw I did let her have a rest while I cut some of the parts.
Step 3: Measuring for the Castors
We marked the center of the T sections and lined them up on the cross stretcher. Once centered we put a line on the T's either side of the stretcher - this gave a rectangle on either side where the castor would be fastened.
I got Lauren to draw an 'X' (corner to corner) in each of the rectangles to mark the center. I then positioned one of the castors on one of the 'X' marks and once happy that it was centered on the X I drew around the base plate and marked the position of the holes.
To mark out for the next castor Lauren squared up one of the other T sections level with the caster shape I had drawn and marked out the for the next castor relative to the fist (no measuring needed).
Marking out for the last castors was simpler - just put the T section with the rectangles on in line with the one already marked out and use a long straight edge to mark the required positions on the new board.
Step 4: Using a Drill
The T Sections where clamped to the stretchers and again a cross was marked - this time on the stretcher from corner to corner where the boards met. I then showed Lauren how to get even spacing for the bolt holes needed to fasten the sections together. I took one of the plastic batons which was 4 cm square and stood it at the corner of the X mark and where the opposite corner of the baton crossed the X made a mark for the hole. this was repeated for the four holes needed on the end. I then drilled the first two holes and put the initial bolts in place explaining that this made it easier to move the clamps holding the parts to drill the next two holes.
I then let Lauren drill the next couple of holes and when happy that she was working safely let her drill all of the holes fastening bolts as she went.
Step 5: Bolt Up
With all of the holes drilled Lauren then attached all the bolts and fastened the nuts - I just went around then at the end to ensure they where as tight as possible.
Step 6: Some Short Bolts
As all the bolts came from other uses (recycled) some where a little short in places so I had Lauren put a little thread adhesive on each nut to ensure that they stayed in place when we use the trolley.
Step 7: Batons and Rope
We then drilled two more holes to attach the plastic batons these are very important as they provide a way of stopping the trailer from falling off of the trolley in use. at this point I thought it complete, but when we looked we decided to use the extra holes already in the batons to include some rope pull handles.
I took some spare washing line and cut two lengths (long enough so that we would not need to stoop when pulling the trolley) and because the line was Nylon I melted the ends over the cooker to prevent them from coming undone over time.
The lines where then put through the holes in the batons and knotted to keep them in place.
NOW the trolley was complete.
Step 8: Using the Trolley
The next day we used the trailer to go camping so we tried out the trolley - placing it so that the trailer could be tipped up onto in and sat nicely between the batons, then we just rolled it out through the gate and put the trailer down on the path outside.
The trolley works great and definitely makes for a lot less effort than carrying the trailer through the gate by myself and while its not a techno gadget its one worth having.
Participated in the
Hand Tools Only Contest
Participated in the
Teach It! Contest Sponsored by Dremel
Participated in the