This project uses three 555 timers to create a PWM to control the brightness of 3 LEDs pairs. Three different color LEDs are used as well as a tri-color LED to show the mixing the colors. Each color has it own 555 PWM circuit and potentiometer to control it. It runs on a 9 volt battery. Tri-color LED in encased in an old flashlight lense.
Step 1: Step 1. Schematic and LTspice Simulation
Entered and Tested circuit in LTspice first. I found this useful and made several correction in this step.
Attached is the LTspice schematic and LTspice *.asc file
Step 2: Step 2. Built 1/3 of the Circuit on a Breadboard
I built the circuit (1/3 of it , only one color) to test it out and decide on the parts layout.
The circuit worked as in the LTspice simulation, but the LED switched Off/On too quickly and I wanted to use more of the Potentiometer to control the LED. So I added a 800 ohm resistor across one side of the Potentiometer. This did help.
I than rearranged the layout so it would fit within 10 rows of the breadboard. I did this so 3 of the circuits would fit on a Adafruit Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB.
Step 3: Step 3. Add Parts to Adafruit Perma-Proto PCB
I then started soldering. I added all 3 LED circuits to the Adafruit Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB.
Picture shows completed PCD and wires coming in from PS and front panel.
Step 4: Step 4. Drill/Wire/Build the Panel
I than added the potentiometers/LED/Old flashlight and 9 Volt connector to a ABS Plastic Bud box.
I made sure wires are long enough to allow a little movement in and out of the box.
Step 5: Completed Project
Here is a picture of the completed project.
I think my grandkids will like playing with it!
- Enclosure. Bud Industries, part #: CU-1874-B. $3.00
- Potentiometer 10K. TT Electronics/BI, part # P160KNP-0QC20B10K. 3X $0.76 = $2.28
- Knobs. SparkFun Electronics, part # COM-11951. 3x $0.95 = $2.85
- Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB. Adafruit, part # 1609. $ 4.50
- Stand offs. Keystone Electronics, part # 2211. 4x$0.47= $1.88
- capacitor, 3.9nF, 100V. TDK Corporation, Part # FG28C0G1H392JNT06. 3x$0.32 = $0.
- capacitor, 1µF, 16V. KEMET, Part #C330C105K5R5TA. 3x$0.47 = $1.41
- diodes. OnSemi, part # 1N4149. 6x$0.08 = $0.48
- bipolar transistors. OnSemi, part # KSP2222ABU. 3x$0.18 = $0.53
- NE555s. Texas Instruments, part # NA555P. 3x$0.37 = $1.10
- 9 volt battery connector. Keystone Electronics, part # 968. $1.15
- RGB LED 10 mm. SparkFun Electronics, part # COM-11120. $0.95
- Red 5 mm LEDs. Kingbright, part # 754-2139-ND. 2x $0.67 = $1.34
- Blue 5 mm LED. Kingbright, part # 754-1919-ND. $0.56
- Green 5 mm LED. Kingbright, part # 754-2018-ND. $0.75
- Resistors. Several misc resistors
- Old AA Flashlight. Cut and only use the lense.
Total Cost $23.74