Intro: Tron Castor's Cane
So after watching a youtube video and reading some forums I wanted to post on instructables how to make your own Castor's Cane from Tron.
Step 1: Whats Needed
1. 1" Clear extruded Acrylic Rod: http://amzn.to/2saJVxr
2. Small LED flashlight: http://amzn.to/2rXSYSS
3. Conventional Oven (Also I read a heat gun could be an alternative option)
4. Vice Grip: http://amzn.to/2qVhZOm
5. Work Gloves
6. PVC Pipe 1-1/4" or possibly 1"
7. Drill and screws
8. Tool to cut a screw
9. Paints: Base coat black/gray and Silver or Metallic 2nd coat
Step 2: Step 1 "Heat It Up"
1) Preheat oven to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204.4 degrees Celsius)
2) When the oven reaches 400 degrees open the oven door. Then you can go about this two ways, I suggest = a)
a) Place a flat metal tray in the oven then put the acrylic clear rod on top of it. Then close the oven door as much as possible with half of the rod outside the oven door. Use chair and some other objects to keep the rod balanced. Then place oven mitts around rod between oven door. Then let the acrylic rod sit in the oven for about 10 MINUTES but watch it while it heats up.
b) Don't place a metal tray and basically arrange the acrylic rod in a fashion where it is not touching the oven grid. If it touches the grid chances are it will melt and be left with a grid marking.
Step 3: Step 2 "Bend It"
After 10 MINUTES put your work gloves on and remove the acrylic rod. It will be HOT so be careful mmk. Then place the hot end of the in a vice about an 1" to 1/2" in the grip. BUT MAKE SURE to wrap the rod in a DRY rag or cloth to prevent marking or scratching. Sorry the photo doesn't show it wrapped up. Then slowly bend the rod at a 90 degree angle. If the rod isn't bending good enough throw back in the oven for a few more minutes.
If you want to see how it is done in video watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eaQMt7qlg-U#t=285s (I did not make this video)
Step 4: Step 3 "Cool Down"
Once you are happy with your bent acrylic rod place it in water to cool it down so it can take and hold its shape.
Step 5: Step 4 "Put It Together"
1. Cut the PVC pipe to a size that will allow the acrylic rod to be on one end of the PVC and on the other end fit the LED flashlight.
2. Take the PVC pipe and paint it.
a)First Spray paint Base coat gray or black
b)Second Spray paint Silver or metallic color
c)Optional Spray clear protective coating
a) go on ebay and buy silver chrome wrap and use a heat gun and exact o knife to apply.
3.Then put the led flash inside the PVC pipe on one end. You can use an epoxy or other glues to make the flashlight stay inside the PVC pipe.
4.Then put the acrylic rod on the other end of the pvc pipe.
5. Then using a drill and a screw, drill the screw through the pvc pipe and the acrylic rod to hold it together. It might not go through the entire thing because the rod heats up rapidly while the screw goes through it and melts. Which will hold the bond between the screw and the acrylic rod.
6. Use a metal cutting tool of some sort to clip off the screw and your done.