Pelmeni are Russian dumpling made with minced meat and served with melted butter. I got introduced to it in my childhood when my dad's work associate made it for us. Thought, then we made the Dumpling wrap from scratch, recently I have been using Egg roll wrap and occasionally wonton wrap. This reduces the time to cook and taste good.
The Best thing about making Pelmeni is that one can involve all people when u are having gathering. I pre make the meat mixture and cut out the egg roll wrap. When folks start poring in I serve red wine and we all make this dumpling while chatting. My Kids love it.
I have used black truffle oil and spices but if you don't fancy any of these in the meat ...its ok. Pelmeni taste great just with simple meat.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 pound meat- Here I have used half pound minced chicken and half pound lamb meat. You could use beef,pork or turkey. Whole food carries most of the time these meat.
- 1 medium onion- finely chopped
- 3 table spoon chopped Chive.
- 1 egg roll wrap. This can be found in supermarket in the isle where tofu is found.
- 3 or 4 garlic
- Half stick of organic butter
- Salt to taste. Always start with little salt because if salt is less we can always sprinkle more. I would say One teaspoon for the filling.
- 1 egg beaten nicely
- 1 table spoon black truffle olive oil. I found these at Trader Joes
- 1 teaspoon chilly flake- increase or decrease it depending on your spice tolerance.
Step 2: Process
- Chop onion and chives finely as fine as you can.
- To the Meat add beaten up egg, onion, crushed garlic, truffle oil, salt to taste, one tea spoon chive, and chilly flake.Mix the filling properly and put it aside.
- Now boil in a large pot boil 1 gallon of water. Add salt to the water.
- While the water is set to boil, we will fill the pelmeni.
- Use wine goblet to cut the egg roll wrap into circle.
- Then fill each with meat mixture in the center. Little more than one teaspoon.
- Now apply water to the edge of the wrap.
- Fold it from the center and press along the edges so that the sheet sticks to each other. I find the semi circular pelmeni easy to shape.
Step 3: Part 2
- By now the water must be boiling in the pot. So add the Pelmeni one by one. We will let it simmer on high heat for 5 to 7 min or till the meat is cooked.
- While the dumplings are getting cooked we can melt the butter in a bowl and add some chives to it
- Once cooked, the dumplings can be removed and put it in the serving platter.
- Drizzle melted butter on top of the Pelmeni and garnish it with chopped chive.
- Remember to serve it hot with red wine.