This meat loaf recipe is very easy to make and way healthier than what your mom used to make.
For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package ground turkey
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (I use Sriracha but any will do)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon water
Step 1: Getting Started on the Loaf
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Step 2: Prep the Oven
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F
Step 3: Prepping Onions for Filling
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
Step 4: Making the Loaf
1. Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl or mixer until well combined. The mixture will be moist, don't stress over this.
2. Shape into a loaf on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet.
Step 5: Making the Glaze
1. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl.
2. Rub the glaze over the top of the meatloaf. I do this with a spoon as the loaf will be sticky.
Step 6: Baking the Loaf
1. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. You can cut into the center or use a meat thermometer.
2. Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Step 7: Serving the Loaf.
Slice into portions and plate with any sides you see fit. I like to serve it sauteed zucchini, yellow squash, and simple spinach and cherry tomato salad.
I hope you enjoy this healthier version of a classic dish.