I like to grow water kefir and kombucha at home. If you're already interested in either of these, you've probably heard of the health claims that these soda-like drinks have. I like them because they have good flavor, and because the caffeine and B-vitamins act like an energy drink. In this instructable, I'll show how to convert a typical punch jar into one suitable for brewing water kefir or kombucha.
Step 1: Cleanup
- Remove any stickers. Goo gone works great for this purpose.
- Disassemble the jar spout. Spray and soak this in bleach.
- Spray and soak the jar with bleach.
Step 2: Lid Preparation
- Cut out a circle of cotton fabric.
- Use a larger plate as a template.
- Cut using a razor blade.
- Use a drill press / mortising bit.
- Sand rough edges with a rough sponge.
Step 3: Boil Tea
- Wait for water to boil.
- Turn off the water.
- Wait a few minutes.
- Add tea leaves.
- Wait a few more minutes.
- Add dark brown sugar.
Step 4: Combine and Wait
Once everything has cooled, the jar has been washed with water, and has been reassembled, pour the lukewarm tea into the jar. Use a strainer to catch tea leaves. Lastly, add the kombucha or water kefir and let it ferment. It should be ready in 3 days to 1 week depending on size, sugar, and temperature.