Introduction: Turn a Can of Baked Beans Into a Gourmet Meal
A can of baked beans is a cheap, nutritious staple that can be eaten on its own. But with a little effort and a few extra ingredients, you can create a delicious meal for two.
All of the ingredients in this instructable are easily stored and transported without any refrigeration (sausage may need to be kept cold: check the package), so it's an ideal meal for camping. You will need: a chopping knife, a block to cut on, and a pot on a heat source.
All of the ingredients may be easily substituted for something similar. I hope this instructable inspires you.
Step 1: Ingredients
Ingredients I used:
- a can of baked beans (with maple syrup)
- a potato
- half a large onion
- two roma tomatoes
- about 2 tsp paprika
- half a chorizo sausage
- pepper/other spices to taste
- a little oil (optional)
This amount of food is enough for 2 normal appetites.
Step 2: Prepare Your Ingredients!
- To make sure everything cooks easily, chop your onions and potatoes finely.
- Chop your tomatoes (not shown)
- Slice your spicy chorizo sausage.
- I like to measure out my spices to dump them in all at once. If you're camping, you might not.
Experiment with other hardy ingredients! I might try a small can of corn next time.
Step 3: Let's Cook!
- I always start by cooking the hardest vegetables.* Heat up your pot/pan with the oil, and then add your potatoes and onions. Once they are soft, add the tomatoes and paprika.
- Next dump in your can of baked beans, sausage, salt and pepper.
- Heat and serve. Garnish with parsley or basil if you have it.
* I recommend starting with cooked/smoked sausage, but if you're going to use uncooked sausage, prepare it with the onions first.
Runner Up in the
Camping Food Challenge
ccason4 made it!