In this instructable I will show you how to make a flashlight that charges within seconds and lasts for about one hour. All with USB! Please tell me about how I am doing on this Instructable. This is my first. Thank you. A while back Trialex posted this instructable. His instructable gives calculations if you need them.
Step 1: Buy Parts
The parts you will need are
1. A 1 farad 5.5 volt super capacitor
2. A male USB connector. (You can cut a USB adaptor and use only the red and black wires or + and - connections
3. A normally open push button switch
4. (Optional) A toggle switch
5. A perf board or etched circuit board
6. A Led any LED works as long as it is not above 4.5 volts. Preferably with built in resistor. You can also use this color changing LED
7. A resistor if your led does not have one.
8. Wires if you are using a perf board
9. A usb charger. (You may be able to use a computer USB port but I don't take any responsibility for any damages to your equipment.)
Most of the parts can be bought from http://allelectronics.com. They have the very best prices that I have seen so far.
Build on perf board or etched coper clad board. You must have some soldering skills to do this project. Check all of your connections before plugging into USB. You do not want to short your connections.