Intro: UVita Sense
What it is:
A device to help people measure their UV exposure levels. Informs if they are at risk of skin cancer or if they are Vitamin D deficient. This prototype is to be places in public places such as Beach and parks so people can get real- time readings of UV radiation index , temperature.
What does it do:
Right now it reads data from the sensors attached and blinks LED if the UV radiation index rises dangerously high.
It shows real-time UV, temperature data on LED display. It sends all the data to Intel IoT cloud analytic.
What we want it to do:
Ideally we want it to send all the data to cloud thus a live heat map can be created showing data from multiple devices. The data can be used for scientific studies. as it is collected at a number of locations where the devices are places. Based on the UV radiation index it should do calculations and give estimated time people can stay out in sun to avoid sun burns which is one of major factor of skin cancer.
1. Intel Edison ( See link for Arduino )
2. intel Arduino ( http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Intel-Edison-for... )
3. Micro USB cables x2 ( http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Micro-USB-Cable-... )
4. RGB-LCD display ( http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Grove-LCD-RGB-Ba... )
5. Base shield ( http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Grove-Base-Shiel... )
6. Grove-Temperature Sensor ( http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Grove-Base-Shiel... )
7. Grove- UV Sensor ( http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Grove-UV-Sensor-... )
8. Grove - Light Sensor ( http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Grove-Light-Sens... )
9. Grove - Blue LED ( http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Grove-Blue-LED-p... )
Step 1: Base Shield Switch Position
Make sure the switch it in 5v position or the text on LCD won't work.
Step 2: Connecting Sensors
Follow the images to connect the sensors. Make sure you keep them in the same order I have so you can follow my code.
Step 3: Connecting LED and LCD Display.
connect blue LED to D2 pin and LCD display to I2C.
Step 4: Main Js File
Copy the content of the file to new blank node js project in Intel IoT XDK.
You are all done!