This recipe is very cool for so many different reasons:
- You can make almost anything out of the batter.
- There are only seven ingredients!!
- There are no gluten free flour blends, rice flour flour or even almond flour,- just simple ingredients that you have at home.
- You can make delicious donuts, cupcakes and cake from it! - and they all turn out delicious and totally do not taste like it can be gluten free!!!
So give it a try and impress your gluten free friends and not gluten free friends,- either way it is so good!!
Step 1: Prepare Your Ingredients
There are two super simple components to this recipe:
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate (1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chopped into pieces
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm non-dairy milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
Step 2: Get Baking!!
Depending on what you want to make, you'll start off a little bit differently. If you're making cupcakes, cake or donut molds, start by preheating you're oven to 375 F. If using a donut maker, skip this step.
Now onto the good stuff!
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and chocolate and melt until the butter is completely melted.
- Whisk until the chocolate is also melted, and your mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the brown sugar and salt, then eggs, until smooth.
- Sift the cocoa powder and espresso powder into the mixture, and mix until combined.
Step 3: Decisions....
Here is where you can get creative and make the recipe "yours".
There are four routes to take from here (or you can do them all, no judgement :)
- Pour batter into cake pan
- Pour batter into cupcake molds- small or large
- Pour batter into donut molds for the oven
- Pour batter into a donut makes (I'll show you what I mean in the next step)
Step 4: Donut Maker!!
- Place prepared batter into any strongish bag, and cut 1 corner off of it.
- Once the donut maker signals it's heated (this should only take under three minutes), spray the molds and start squeezing out batter into them.
- Once all molds are filled, close the molds and check on the batter every three minutes or so until they're ready (again this shouldn't take long either).
Step 5: Cupcakes, Cake and Donuts!!
If you wish to use an oven instead then follow these steps instead:
- In and oven heated to 375 F, place you're batter- it could be either of the three shapes into they're pan, no more than 3/4 full.
- Bake until the tops are set, time will vary depending on what you make but it should range from 15-35 minutes.
**I made smaller cupcakes and they baked for about 18 minutes.
Step 6: Glazing Time (obviously the Most Important Step)
This step isn't mandatory but I mean, it's GLAZED, so I'll leave you to decide...
- Add the powdered sugar to a small bowl and add the warm milk, and vanilla. Mix until everything has combined into a liquid glaze.
- When the donuts, cupcakes or cake has fully cooled (they don't take long!), dip the tops of each donut or cupcake into the glaze, or pour glaze onto cake.
- Repeat process until everything has been glazed.
- Place the doughnuts back onto the cooling rack for the excess glaze to drip off and for the glaze to firm up. (Place a piece of parchment paper under the rack to catch the drips too!)
Step 7: Plate It and Enjoy!
***This step only applies if they haven't been eaten yet:
Runner Up in the
Gluten Free Challenge