Intro: Unlock Secret Camera Features Canon Don`t Want You to Know
Maybe some of you don`t know, but you can easily add a whole bunch of new features to your Canon DSLR.
Your camera will be able to use features of a lot more expensive DSLRs.
Canon wants to sell new cameras, so they do not make this features available for you and do not want you to know
But there is a solution.
Step 1: Magic Lantern
Step 2: Main Features
(found this little selection on the magic lantern page, but there is a lot more)
- Bracketing for exposure, flash, or depth-of-field
- In-camera intervalometer.
- Custom bulb timer for extra-long exposures.
- Motion detection.
- Silent pictures.
- Record voice tags for photos / videos.
- Full control over H264 bitrate
- Full control of recording framerate.Record
- HDR video.
- Custom vignetting for lens correction.
- Record 14-bit uncompressed RAW video to your CF/SD card.
- Trap focus.
- Follow focus.
- Rack focus.
- Custom AF patterns
- Automatic auto-focus microadjustment (DotTune AFMA).
as well as a lot of audio, exposure and live view overlay features
Step 3: Supported Cameras
5D2, 5D3, 6D, 7D, 50D, 60D, 500D/T1i, 550D/T2i, 600D/T3i, 650D/T4i, 700D/T5i, 1100D/T3, EOS M
In progress: 70D
Inactive ports (help welcome): 5D classic (old version available) 40D, 100D/SL1 (not working at all)
Step 4: How to Install
You can find a very detailed instruction here:
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install (strongly recommended)
- format your SD card in your DSLR (low level format)
- Download the right version for your camera model here https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ do not forget to read. Sometimes you have to first install a older Magic Lantern version before you are able to use the newest one. But it is explained very good on the website of ML
- Extract the downloaded files
- Copy the files "ML,autostart and your camera version" to your SD card
- Put the SD card inside your camera
- Rotate camera mode to M positon
- check in your menu your firmware version and click on it
- install Magic Lantern after you read "success" switch off your camera for about 10 seconds
- Now you can use it
- Press the DELETE button to open ML menu
Check out this if you want to explore more DSLR hacks:
or if you want to build your own Photo Booth
If you like this instructable, it would be great to favorite or to subscribe to our channel.
We will give away 3 3months pro memberships in mid november to our subscribers. So make sure to subscribe and to write on our orangeboard if you want to win one.