Introduction: Upcycle Emergency Torch
The following set of instructions will allow you to successfully make an emergency torch like the one shown in the picture. The idea behind this torch is to use materials already present in your house.
Step 1: Materials
1. Wine bottle
3. Stones or colored marbles (optional)
4. Cooking oil
5. Matches or lighter
Step 2: Drain Wine Bottle
Drain bottle of wine remnant to ensure that it is dry.
Step 3: Saturate the Wick With Oil
Rub cooking oil all over the newspaper/magazine (wick) until the paper is saturated.
Step 4: Fill Lamp With Oil
- Half fill the wine bottle with colored marbles/stones (optional)
- Half fill the wine bottle with cooking oil.
Step 5: Creating the Wick
- Fold the newspaper in two.
- Roll the newspaper until the circumference is almost the same size as the circumference of the mouth of the wine bottle.
Step 6: Insert Wick
- Push the rolled newspaper inside the wine bottle leaving approximately one inch exposed.
- Use the knife to help push the newspaper inside the bottle (optional).
Step 7: Light the Wick
Light the newspaper.
Turn the bottle upside down to get oil on the newspaper whenever the flame starts to grow dim. When the paper gets burned down to a quarter of an inch, out the torch and wait on the paper to cool. When the paper is cooled, pull same up (using your fingers) until you have approximately one inch of paper exposed.