Upcycled 'Champagne' Bottles Planters

831

9

2

Introduction: Upcycled 'Champagne' Bottles Planters

About: I am French, living in south of France, I like to make presents for my family and friends. I also like to try several techniques. You can visit my blog in French I also play saxophone.

I had since long in my shop the upper part of cut Champagne bottles from a previous project: Ashtrays from Champagne bottles. I decided (or better said, I answered to my wife's request) to make planters for aromatic herbs, hanged close to the kitchen.

With this project I participate to the planter challenge, if you like it, vote for me!

Step 1: Cut the Bottles

I describe this step, becaus you need the upper part of the bottle. In my case, I did this step long time ago for the ashtrays and I kept the upper part of the bottles, for a future project... and here it is!

I use Champagne (I prefer to keep the original french name...) bottles because they are wider and the glass is thicker than wine bottles.

First (not so fun) step is to remove the stickers. Not really difficult but some stickers adhesives are easier to remove.

Then you have to make a scratch on the bottle at the level where you want to cut. I made a quick and dirty tool with some wood to attach the cutting tool, and fixed it on the vice. Then I turned the bottle while pushing it against the tool until I get a scratch all around the bottle.

Next step is in the kitchen. You need alcohol, wool, water and ice. The principle is to have a crack developping in the glass from the scratch, due to thermal stress induced by quick temperature change. I wrapped a wool thread soaked in alcohol around the bottle, with a small knot. then I let the wool burn while turnng the bottle, and plunged the bottle in the cold water. Normally you hear and see a crack in the thickness of the bottle. You may need to repeat it until the bottle separates in two.Success is not 100% but around 85%. Something which can lead to failure (meaning not a straight cut) is if the knot abd the wool is too long, and therefore creates a hot area wider, this can lead to have the crack going out of the scratch in this area.

At the end of this step, you have some tops and bottoms of bottles. In this project, we will use the top part.

Step 2: Select the Bottles and Drill a Hole in the Side

I selected the wider bottles (1.5 l).

I drilled a hole in the side of the bottle in order to allow to attach them to the wall. Drilling glass is possble with a special drill for glass and taking care to continuously cool down with water. I also decided to put a piece of wood in the bottle to support it while drilling.

With some patience, you get a clean hole. Success rate is again not 100% but around 90%. The risk is to crack the edge. To avoid that: ensure enough distance with the edge, cool down, and be patient...

Step 3: Close the Bottle With a Plug, Hang on the Wall: Ready to Hand Over to My Wife for Planting Aromates

Once the bottles are cut and drilled, the hard part is behind you and the rest of the story is quite easy.

Put a plug in the bottle, I selected a plug with cork and black plastic, the ones you find in Porto wine bottles.

And then I hanged the bottles in a structure which was already installed against the wall. I hanged the bottle directly to a hook screwed in the structure or with a plastic link (tyrap).

The project is finished and ready for planting aromates. The result is nice but you must not forget to water the plant regularly because there is not much volume, and sun can heat the bottle and dry the plant.

If you like it, don't forget to vote for it!

Share

    Recommendations

    • Fix It! Contest

      Fix It! Contest
    • Metalworking Contest

      Metalworking Contest
    • Tiny Home Contest

      Tiny Home Contest

    2 Discussions

    These look great! Just like the ones I did a few years ago for a friend. Well done!
    The dark glass helps protect roots from getting too much light, they like the dark.

    Looks nice, good idea!