Today we will see how to make Urad Dal Vada, also called as Garelu, uddina vada, ulundu vadai in South India for these Round Disc shaped fritters.
These are one of the very popular South Indian food - especially served for breakfast or as a tea-time snack. They are often served with Tiffin sambar and coconut chutney.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
Urad dal/black gram - 200 grams
Water - as required
Chopped onions - 1/8 cup
Coriander & Mint leaves - 1/8 cup
Chopped green chilies - 1/4 cup
Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Oil - for deep-frying
Baking soda - 1/2 Tsp
Salt - as per the taste
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Step 2: Rinse and Dry Black Gram/Urad Dal
- Take 200gm of Urad dal/black gram.
- Put them into a strainer and rinse very quicker.
- Soak them in water for 2-3 hours.
- Don't let them soak in water for longer time.
- Dry them before grinding.
Step 3: Grinding Urad Dal
- Put urad dal into a grinding jar.
- Add baking soda1/2 Tsp.
- Grind into a fine paste.
Step 4: Mixing Batter
- Take the vada batter into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tsp of ginger-garlic paste.
- Add Cumin seeds 1 Tsp and Curry leaves.
- Add Green chili, Chopped onions, Coriander leaves.
- Add Salt as required.
- Add water little by little while mixing.
- Mix well.
Step 5: Cooking
- Heat oil for deep-frying.
- Dip your fingers in water before making each vada.
- Take a ball-sized batter and shape it.
- Fry that into oil carefully.
- Flip them and fry on both sides.
- Fry on medium heat until they turn into golden brown color.
- The vada is ready to serve it hot.
Enjoy! TRY IT, you'll LOVE IT.
That's all Foodie's. Thank you!!
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017