Intro: Vanilla Cupcakes With Blueberry Compote and Cream Cheese Frosting
Filled with a tart blueberry compote, and topped with a creamy, decadent cream cheese frosting, these cupcakes are moist and simply delicious!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2-1/2 cups of All-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups of white, granulated sugar
- 3 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of canola, coconut, or vegetable oil
- 1 cup of buttermilk
For blueberry compote:
- 3 cups of blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup of white, granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp of water
- 4 tsp of lemon juice
For cream cheese frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 16 oz. of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of confectioner's sugar
Yield: makes 20 cupcakes
Step 2: Prepare: Cupcake & Compote
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line cupcake tin with liners or paper cups.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs, and beat. Add sugar, and beat for 30 seconds. Add vanilla extract and oil, and beat once more.
4. Add half of flour mixture and half of buttermilk to wet ingredients. Mix until combined. Do the same with the remaining halves of both the flour mixture and buttermilk.
5. Pour batter into cupcake liners. If you use baking cups, make sure to fill them only halfway. Otherwise, they will overflow!
6. Bake cupcakes for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. While the cupcakes are baking, start on the blueberry compote. In a medium saucepan, add blueberries, sugar, and water. Stir with a wooden spoon. Let blueberry mixture simmer for about 12-15 minutes or until it forms a sauce-like consistency.
Step 3: Frosting
8. Bring the blueberry compote to room temperature (you can do this by letting the compote cool slightly for 5 minutes, and then placing it in the refrigerator for another 10-15 minutes.
9. While both cupcakes and blueberry compote are cooling, prepare the frosting. In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter and cream cheese. confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract, and beat until well combined. This should take about a minute.
Step 4: Assemble & Enjoy!
10. Once cupcakes are completely cool, cut a small hole from the center of the cupcakes, but do not cut all the way through to the bottom of the cupcake.
11. Scoop about 1 tbsp of the blueberry compote into each cupcake. Pipe frosting onto each cupcake as well. Top with fresh blueberries, and enjoy!
Step 5: Video!
Enjoy this video of the cupcakes!