Turn your mirror into a modern vanity kit with gen4 5” HMI Display module and LED Strips. This project can be made easily with your creativity. In this project, gen4 HMI Display module will be used as the graphical user interface to control your light. You can customise the looks of the buttons and the arrangement of the LED strip modifying the project code using the Visi Environment.
You will need the following components and materials:
- gen4-PA and FFC Cable
- LED SMD 5050
- 4 Channel Relay
- uSD Card
- uUSB Cable
- Jumping Wires
- 5 V Power Supply
- 12 V Power Supply
Step 1: Build
You can customize your own Vanity Mirror light by using different materials, in this project, LED Strip is used.
It is divided into three section.Put the LED Strips onto your mirror and connect them accordingly.
In this version, 3 sections were made, The Inner Light, Top & Bottom Light and the Left & Right Light.
Build the circuit as shown in the fritzing diagram.
NOTE: You can also make your costomized circuit to control the brightness of the LED Strip with the PWM Pins of the gen4-HMI Display Module
Step 2: Program
- Download the code here.
- Open the Visi project using Workshop 4. This project uses the Visi Environment.
- You can modify the properties of each widgets and buttons.
- Three GPIOs are used as pin output.
- You can also check and modify some part of the code according to your preferences.
- The code provides comment for your reference
- Click on the “Compile” button.
- Note: This step could be skipped. However, compiling is essential for debugging purposes.
- Connect the display to the PC. Make sure that you are connected to the right port. Red Button indicates that the device is not connected, Blue Button indicates that the device is connected to the right port.
- Go back to “Home” tab. This time, click on the “Comp’nLoad” button.
- Workshop 4 will prompt you to select a drive to copy the image files to a uSD Card. After selecting the correct drive, click OK.
- Mount uSD Card When the uSD card is not yet inserted, this message will appear on your gen4 Display: "Drive not mounted"
Step 3: Demonstration
Now you can use your Vanity Mirror anytime. You can control its light into Inner light,Left& Right, Top & Bottom or even all lights on.