Introduction: Vegan Apple Scones
I live in Michigan and when you come from here I think it's a law that you have to make at least one recipe with apples in it. I have been debating over what I wanted to make this year and decided my first recipe would be ones with scones. I realized half way through making these that I have friends that are vegan and they wouldn't be able to make them. Instead of leaving them out this apple season I revamped my recipe so all my vegan friends would be able to try them.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup softened coconut oil
- 1 apple, peeled and diced (about 1 cup diced apple)
- 1/2 cup dairy free coconut milk
Step 2: Directions
1. Preheat your oven to 425ºF and spray your baking sheet with Pam
2. In a large bowl sift sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg and whisk together. Add the coconut oil and using a fork or pastry blender, cut it in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (add small amount of cold water if coarse crumbs don’t come together)
Step 3: Directions
3. Add your diced apple and coconut milk into the bowl, until the mixture starts to come together. It should be a little sticky but not adhering to your hands. If it is too wet, add a little flour. If too dry add some more coconut milk
Step 4: Directions
5. Take the mixture out and roll it into a ball. Place that onto some wax paper and flatten it out to about an inch or an inch and a half high. Score the disk into four triangles or 6 triangles, like a pizza.
Step 5: Directions
6. Place the triangles on the baking sheet and sprinkle some sugar over the top of the scones. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. or until the scones begin to take on a nice golden brown hue on the tops and edges.
Runner Up in the
Vegan Food Challenge